none
How do I publish a WinRT project to multiple Windows Store endpoints

Question

• I have a single LOB application that I will be publishing for multiple customers.  I want to create multiple listings in the Windows Store for this application so I can control deployment on a per customer basis.  I do not want a change for customer A forcing customer B to perform an update.

How do I manage this from within Visual Studio?  From what I can tell I upload the package straight from within Visual Studio, however this creates a mapping between the project and the Windows Store application - the Package.appxmanifest file.

I thought about using MakeAppx with a library of different Package.appxmanifest files to create the files to deploy to the store, however I've read that you cannot create a package for the store from the command line. (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/ef567c79-3af0-4205-b9be-2d7cb65439e9/is-it-possible-to-create-a-package-for-the-store-via-command-line-with-makeappxexe?forum=windowsstore)

I've also tried creating a project per deployment, referencing my existing WinRT application and altering the entry point in the Package.appxmanifest file to start from within the reference, however this results in a complaint around having duplicate App.xbf files.  Removing or renaming the App.xaml from the deployment project results in the project being unable to build at all.

What is the correct approach to allowing multiple deployments of an application within the Windows Store?

Monday, December 9, 2013 2:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Duncan,

You would need separate projects for the different apps. You can link the source code together, but use unique files for the parts that need to be different. It's not clear to me exactly how you are referencing the existing application. You shouldn't need to modify the entry points, but would need to change the package ID to match the different apps.

You can create the app package from the command line once its been defined in its manifest. What you cannot do is add or override packaging information from the command line for an app which isn't yet set up. This means you need separate manifest files for your separate apps and cannot have a single app but change the product ID from the command line.

--Rob

Monday, December 9, 2013 4:01 PM