Azcopy api calls RRS feed

• Question

• I have Terabytes of data, which i copied using azcopy v10 to azure blob storage. But it costs a lot. My question is what apicalls azcopy makes to write the data and to list the existing data from the container.
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:22 AM

All replies

• If understand correctly are you looking for Cost of data transfers information mentioned in this article, If not please provide more information on your query

You can specify the /SyncCopy option to copy data from File Storage to File Storage, from File Storage to Blob Storage and from Blob Storage to File Storage synchronously, AzCopy does this by downloading the source data to local memory and upload it again to destination. Standard egress cost applies.

Note that /SyncCopy might generate additional egress costs compared to asynchronous copy. The recommended approach is to use this option in the Azure VM which is in the same region as your source storage account to avoid egress cost.

Additional information: Account to account copy is now using the new Put from URL APIs that will copy the data directly from one storage account to another. No data transfer is needed down to the client where AzCopy runs. Therefore, it is significantly faster!

Will copy overwrite my files?

• By default, AzCopy will overwrite the files at the destination if they already exist. To avoid this behavior, please use the flag --overwrite=false.

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Thursday, May 9, 2019 2:44 PM
  • So for e.g :  20lacs file in azure blob which i synched in last azcopy sync operation. Now i have updated few of files on the source. When run the sync command again then azcopy scans both source and destination files. My question is when azcopy do this listing process to will that cost the money.
    Thursday, May 9, 2019 5:22 PM
  • The client side operation has no charge; the service side operation will do a GET. so, there is a charge

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:26 AM
  • @harshal23 Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Monday, June 10, 2019 7:35 AM