Any tricks to improve launch time on RT? RRS feed

• Question

• Some of my apps take up to 4 or 5 seconds to load on my Surface RT (with Windows RT 8.1), yet on the desktop (a Core i3 - nothing fancy) they load almost instantly - you see the splash screen for less than 1 second.

Obviously the Surface RT is ARM and less powerful...but are there any tricks to get to the main screen faster? I have removed as much XAML as possible from the App.XAML and MainPage.XAML.

I'm unclear as to what stage the splash screen goes away...the app doesn't need to do a whole lot of initialization (hence the instant launch on x86 devices).

What takes up that ~4 seconds? Break points debugging shows that some of my app's code is being executed while the splash screen is up - stuff that should be happening after the splash screen is gone.

Any tips? I've watched a video from Channel 9, but it only really covered reducing excess XAML, which I've done.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:00 AM

Answers