Best place to start programming? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't have any programming experience.I write out tables for the 'California Super Lotto Plus' on paper which is time consuming.I want to learn programming to speed up the time.What is the best  program  for calculating tables and charts? What is the difference between Visual Basic and Visual Studio? I have Window 8 32 bit.
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:44 PM

Answers

• Visual Studio is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) a program to help write and debug a program.

Visual Basic is a language, one of many that can be used in Visual Studio (like C#, C++ and several others).

One possibility is to use a spreadsheet, (tables and charts are easy).  They also come with internal language to automate things.  For example if you have EXCEL it has VBA (Visual Basic for applications) that comes with it.  Some googling to get some ideas on what is possible.  There are also free EXCEL alternatives, like OpenOffice or MSWorks (often bundled with Windows).

• Edited by litdev Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Nonki Takahashi Friday, March 21, 2014 5:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nonki Takahashi Tuesday, April 1, 2014 10:03 AM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:42 PM
  • The best place to start programming is with Small Basic. =^)

For 4-6 year olds, I'd start them on Kodu or TouchDevelop. But 7+ should learn on Small Basic.

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:10 AM

All replies

• This forum is about the Smallbasic programming language. About the Visual programs you have to ask in another forum.

Jan [ WhTurner ] The Netherlands

Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Visual Studio is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) a program to help write and debug a program.

Visual Basic is a language, one of many that can be used in Visual Studio (like C#, C++ and several others).

One possibility is to use a spreadsheet, (tables and charts are easy).  They also come with internal language to automate things.  For example if you have EXCEL it has VBA (Visual Basic for applications) that comes with it.  Some googling to get some ideas on what is possible.  There are also free EXCEL alternatives, like OpenOffice or MSWorks (often bundled with Windows).

• Edited by litdev Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Nonki Takahashi Friday, March 21, 2014 5:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nonki Takahashi Tuesday, April 1, 2014 10:03 AM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:42 PM
  • The best place to start programming is with Small Basic. =^)

For 4-6 year olds, I'd start them on Kodu or TouchDevelop. But 7+ should learn on Small Basic.

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, March 22, 2014 5:10 AM