none
Issues while windows 10 is locked RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I've recently upgraded from windows 7 to Windows 10 at work. As a way of automate tasks, i've several tasks running (some over night, some during the work day).

Some of the tasks are in excel, through VBA processes.

Going to the point, all worked just fine in Windows7. Now, i have one task, that does not work at all in Windows10. Let me explain further:

The process, has more to it, but on of the things it does (and the thing with the issue), is to save an excel range to a jpeg file. This process is done copying the range and pasting it on a chart area, and export it to a jpeg file (seams odd but works fine).

The issue is that all of this work properly, while i'm working, with the computer unlocked.

But if i lock the desktop, and the schedulled task runs on that moment it stops the code, with the error "The clipboard cannot be emptied. Another program may be using the clipboard" . After debug it, it stops in the line where excel copies the range in order to paste it as an image.

I've invested several hours, looking in the web, without any success. So please, does someone knows, why when the desktop is locked, windows 10 seams to "block" the clipboard?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 9:30 PM

All replies

• Hi everyone,

i'havent solved this directly, but i've managed a workarround.

Using a VBA command (sendkeys) i can "wake" the lock screen, so the clipboard becomes "available" again.

This solved my issue. if someone else has a similar issue, this might work for your too.

Regards

Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:19 PM
  • I don't have an answer, but I may have stumbled upon a workaround.

I had the same issue with clipboard access not working when the Windows 10 desktop is locked. Clipboard errors happened in any cross-application scenario I tried: Excel-to-SAP, Notepad-to-Excel, Excel-to-Word...

But I discovered that I don't get the clipboard errors any more if I login to the Windows 10 pc via Remote Desktop Connection instead of the keyboard/console. I can login, schedule the task, disconnect, and it runs fine now. 

It breaks again if I unlock the desktop via the keyboard, though, so I guess I'll just never do that again, ever. :-)
    Friday, May 8, 2020 11:35 AM