none
Moderators, what do you do? RRS feed

• Question

• Moderators, I started thinking that some of you may not be working real pressure cooker jobs and thusly have time to contribute as a moderator in these forums. My thoughts were based on the fact that there are times I am working on a project and I suddenly need to stop and place that on hold and go in a completely different direction and when finished there may be other items requiring my attention and I cannot get back to my original project for weeks or months at times.

What do you do that allows you so much flexibility to participate and monitor threads that have not been answered?

Thanks

Monday, April 23, 2012 5:10 PM

All replies

• Hi CJlindell,

Thanks for your feedback for us.

Would you please tell us it's which thread was out of monitoring by Moderators?

You're probably to find it from your profile activity:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/cjlindell/activity

Pan Zhang Customer Support EPX Service Engineering Support Team

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:44 AM
  • I don't think CJlindell is complaining threads not being monitored. On the contrary, he/she is amazed in how mods have time to monitor all these threads.

The question is because of common phenomenon that once your brain performed "context switch" to answer another topic, it's really difficult to get back to what you're working on hand. So he/she is suggesting maybe mods here all have a "non-pressing job" that have such luxuries of allowing so much leeway to get back to "work mode".

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:14 AM
  • Thanks, Cheonq00.

You got it.

Pan Zhang Customer Support EPX Service Engineering Support Team

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:32 AM
  • YOU are correct, I cannot imagine having the time to read through all the questions in specialty areas and replying to them. At work I'm very busy all the time and at home I don't really want to get technical, I'd rather enjoy some peace and quite with an adult beverage!
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:56 PM
  • So tell me how many moderators are there and how many of you work full time jobs that are separate from these forums? I am still unclear how some moderators seem to have so much time to dedicate to monitoring activity.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:22 PM
  • What I do is to subscribe to RSS feeds of forums (MSDN, stackoverflow, CSDN etc) in Google Reader. With the help of browser extensions, this helps me to get a post list filtered by keywords.

If I switch on the spam filter and filter out common keywords like MFC in a Visual C++ forum, Struts in a Java forum or Oracle in a database forum, I get a list of threads of unusual title. Normally, spammers are not using those keywords, as they usually post spam across the board, the cost of finding out relevant keywords for each forum is quite high for them. This helps me to find and ban spammers. 

If I switch on the answer filter and highlight posts with keywords I am interested in, I get posts that I can help with less time (e.g. refer the user to an existing discussion if the post is a variant or duplicate). 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:20 PM
  • You cannot propose an answer to this question, you can only answer it with what it is that you do that allows your flexibility to participate and monitor threads. Not every moderator will be able to answer the question the same so there isn't any correct answer for everyone.
    • Edited by CJlindell Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:02 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:56 PM
  • I don't think CJlindell is complaining threads not being monitored. On the contrary, he/she is amazed in how mods have time to monitor all these threads.

The question is because of common phenomenon that once your brain performed "context switch" to answer another topic, it's really difficult to get back to what you're working on hand. So he/she is suggesting maybe mods here all have a "non-pressing job" that have such luxuries of allowing so much leeway to get back to "work mode".

Yes you are correct with what you have stated.

However, you cannot propose an answer to this question, you can only answer it with what it is that you do that allows your flexibility to participate and monitor threads. Not every moderator will be able to answer the question the same so there isn't any correct answer for everyone.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 6:01 PM
  • The other reason it isn't an answer is that it doesn't answer the question !

My reading of the question was to ask what jobs Moderators did that gave them the time/flexibility to moderate forums. The answer seems to be what methods Sheng Jiang uses to help him moderate forums - it's an answer to a different question.

My attempt to answer the question I think is there, is that the job you have that gives you your income doesn't really affect your ability to become a moderator. It is perfectly possible to moderate a forum (or several forums) in an evening after finishing (paid) work. You'll probably have a several hours session to be able to do it right, but it is possible.

I found that an early morning session before leaving for work; a short lunchtime session to clear up the worst problems/offenders; and an evening session were all the moderating that was needed. With most jobs you can fit that in and these days a long (for instance train or bus) commute can be used for forum moderation.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Friday, May 18, 2012 6:52 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by CJlindell Friday, May 18, 2012 7:18 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 12:40 PM
  • You cannot propose an answer to this question, you can only answer it with what it is that you do that allows your flexibility to participate and monitor threads. Not every moderator will be able to answer the question the same so there isn't any correct answer for everyone.
    Friday, May 18, 2012 7:19 PM
  • In that case it should really be a Discussion not a question. Perhaps switch the type to Discussion?
    Monday, May 21, 2012 7:12 PM
  • In that case it should really be a Discussion not a question. Perhaps switch the type to Discussion?

This is not a discussion, it is a question and there are different answers for most everyone.
    Monday, May 21, 2012 7:29 PM