How to create an InfoPath summary view to display only selected / filled in data RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to create a summary page in InfoPath to only show the data selected or typed in by the user of the form. Is this possible without extra coding?

Orange County District Attorney

Monday, July 22, 2013 10:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for my misunderstanding. Since you want to display the summary data which a user select in a form, you can try the steps below:

1. Create a new view for the form template named Summary View.
    2. Copy all the content on the default view and paste on the Summary view. In this way, the data on the two forms are the same. The data users entered or selected will show up on the summary view.
    3. Add formatting rule on each of the controls on the summary view. Set the condition like this ‘if control is blank’. Select ‘Hide this control’. In this way, only the control which contains value will show up in the summary view.
    4. If you are using Multiple-selection List box, you can use a text box control instead in the summary view. Set the default value for the text box like this : substring-after(eval(eval(field6, 'concat(., ";")'), ".."), ";") (change field6 to your multiple selection list box control name). In this way, only the selected value will show up in the text box.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that you want to show a summary view to display items related to current user. You can achieve this by taking the steps below:

1. Open the form in InfoPath designer. Add a data connection to retrieve data from the list.
    2. Add the secondary data connection as repeating table on the form.
    3. Select the repeating table and add formatting rules.
    4. Set the condition like  this : If Display Name contains userName(). Select ‘hide this control’ as the formatting. The userName() function can get current log in user for you.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com

Entan Ming

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:27 AM
  • Thanks for the answer back on my post, Entan. Actually, what I'm looking to achieve is a summary of only the items that a user has checked or entered. My forms views have text fields, dates and check boxes. I'd like the final, summary page to only display only those items that were entered or checked. Does that make sense? I'm not sure how to configure a new 'view' to go get only these fields to display.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my misunderstanding. Since you want to display the summary data which a user select in a form, you can try the steps below:

1. Create a new view for the form template named Summary View.
    2. Copy all the content on the default view and paste on the Summary view. In this way, the data on the two forms are the same. The data users entered or selected will show up on the summary view.
    3. Add formatting rule on each of the controls on the summary view. Set the condition like this ‘if control is blank’. Select ‘Hide this control’. In this way, only the control which contains value will show up in the summary view.
    4. If you are using Multiple-selection List box, you can use a text box control instead in the summary view. Set the default value for the text box like this : substring-after(eval(eval(field6, 'concat(., ";")'), ".."), ";") (change field6 to your multiple selection list box control name). In this way, only the selected value will show up in the text box.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:03 AM
  • Hello Entan,

You are brilliant. Thanks for the information. This will solve my problem.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:18 PM