Cannot configure FrontPage when using Host Header in a new website RRS feed

• Question

• User1040779452 posted

Can anyone tell me why when  i include a Host Header name while creating a new website that it does not work.  It tells me that the page cannot be displayed or i am not able to get into the FrontPage Server Administration site...I decided to remove the Host Header name and I was able to get the the default page that i created, get to the FrontPage Administration site and setup security, create SubWeb and so on...

With this approach, the ip address of my server is always shown when i open up a page in the site. Is there any reason why including the Host Header name would prevent access from the FrontPage Administration section? that's not a problem since i am only creating a local Intranet, but it would be nice to use the name of the site instead of the ip address in the browser...

Hens

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 10:06 AM

Answers

• User-823196590 posted

Host headers are only used on root web sites - not FrontPage sub-webs or folders within a site.  I think that's your confusion.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:03 PM
  • User-2064283741 posted

Check your DNS setup.

nslookup from the command prompt or use an online one like  www.dnsstuff.com this will let you know if there are any problems.

Get a background in dns terms

http://www.ultradns.com/downloads/dnsprimer.html

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:40 AM

All replies

• User-823196590 posted

Should be no p[roblem, I do this all the time. 

How are you creating the site? Do you mean child web?  Are host headers setup correctly in IIS?

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 10:22 AM
  • User1040779452 posted

I'm creating the site by right clicking on Websites in IIS Manager. About the sites,i guess you can call them child web, in the FrontPage administration site they are described or called "SubWeb." Is there some place else to set up Host Headers other than in the Ip address section of creating a web site or on the properties tab? I think based on those two places, i'm setting them up properly.

Hens

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 12:36 PM
  • User-823196590 posted

Host headers are only used on root web sites - not FrontPage sub-webs or folders within a site.  I think that's your confusion.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:03 PM
  • User1040779452 posted

ok, i'm looking at the properties tab of the website that i created in IIS, when i created this website i did not include a Host Header because that field was optional, i decided that i would like to have a header, so under website identification i click the Advance button, highlight my ip address, select edit, in the add/web site identification dialog box in the Host Header Value texbox i put in the name of my site and select ok.

i'm not trying to setup the headers through the FrontPage Server Extensions. everytime i set up these headers it seems to somehow "knock out" the site..

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 8:02 PM
  • User-823196590 posted

Host headers are useful only when you're hosting multiple sites from the same IP address and port.  Do you have more than one site?  Did you add the new host header name to your DNS?

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 9:04 AM
  • User1040779452 posted

I do have two sites. also, how do i add the host header to DNS

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 9:13 AM
  • User-823196590 posted

I am not a DNS expert, but you need to add a CNAME record that points to your server IP.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 9:28 AM
  • User-2064283741 posted

Check your DNS setup.

nslookup from the command prompt or use an online one like  www.dnsstuff.com this will let you know if there are any problems.

Get a background in dns terms

http://www.ultradns.com/downloads/dnsprimer.html

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:40 AM