Windows patch broke SQL Virtual Service accounts?? RRS feed

• Question

• After applying the following Windows security updates to Window Server 2012 & server rebooted, SQL Server Services (2014) stopped, even though startup mode is set to 'automatic':

KB4022726
    KB3135998
    KB3139923

I tried unsuccessfully to manually force start the SQL Server & SQL Agent services. 'service did not respond in timely manner...'

Tried temporarily switching startup from Virtual accounts to 'Local System' account just to get services successfully started, then tried to switch back to the Virtual accounts and they seemed to be missing or broken:

NT Service\MSSQL$MS2014_PROD
    NT Service\SQLAgent$MS2014_PROD

Has anybody else experienced this issue? Is it a known problem? Is there a solution besides backing out the Windows security patches?

We are currently running services under 'Local System' account, just to bypass this issue, but would like to be able to switch back to the Virtual accounts if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

• Edited by philfactor Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:54 PM
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 8:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Phil,

>>Has anybody else experienced this issue? Is it a known problem? Is there a solution besides backing out the Windows security patches?

The virtual service account should always be there, even when the service is running some other service account or it’s not running at all. I can understand that the virtual service account might be broken but I don’t think any patch would just wipe it out.

Exactly what you are seeing when you trying to bring the service online, anything from SQL Server error log or Event Viewer?

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 14, 2017 9:11 AM