none
New VSTO project is incompatible when reopened in VS2015 RRS feed

• Question

• I create an new project based on Excel 2016 or Word 2016 in VS2015 Community.

When I save and reopen I get ExcelWorkbook1 (incompatible)

'This project is incompatible with the current edition'

'You do not have a version of Office that is supported with this version of Visual Studio. Please install Office 2010 or greater then try again.'

I have tried reinstalling everything multiple times. I have this on both Server 2012 and Windows 8.1

I upgraded from Office 2013 + VS 2013 where everything was working fine.

And: when I remove ExcelWorkbook1 from the solution and add again as existing project, project loads fine. Only to find the problem reoccur after saving and closing VS2015.

• Edited by Technobil74 Wednesday, December 9, 2015 3:02 PM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 1:07 PM

All replies

• I have also tested

VS 2015 + Office 2013-> works fine

VS 2015 + Office 2016 -> not working

VS 2013 + Office 2016 -> not working

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

>>'This project is incompatible with the current edition'. You do not have a version of Office that is supported with this version of Visual Studio. Please install Office 2010 or greater then try again.'<<

Did you open the project which created from Visual Studio 2013 from Visual Studio 2015(Office 2013 upgrade to Office 2016)?

If I understood correctly, could this issue be reproduced when you create a new project in Visual Studio 2015?

Based on the second error message, it seems that the Office application was corrupted after you upgrading.

I suggest that you try to repair or re-install the Office to see whether the issue was fixed.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 8:47 AM
  • The 'project incompatible' occurs when opening old VSTO projects in VS2015 AND VS2013

The 'project incompatible' occurs when creating new VSTO projects in VS2015 AND VS2013

Problems only occur when using Office 2016. When using Office 2013 everything works fine.

I have tried reinstalling VS2015 and Office 2016 several times, but to no avail.

I have this on several machines: Windows 8.1 Pro + Server 2012 R2. I can easily reproduce the error on both machines.

I am using Office365.

• Edited by Technobil74 Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:07 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:05 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the detail information for this issue.

I am failed to reproduce this issue. It seems that this issue is relative to the environment. What's version of Office 365 you installed, Click2Run or *.EXE?

If you were downloading the Office program from Internet, I suggest that you check the MD5 to ensure the Office setup program was correct.

In addition, I also suggest that you try to produce this issue on a clean environment.

>>The 'project incompatible' occurs when creating new VSTO projects in VS2015 AND VS2013<<

Did you develop an document-level customization? Can you create a application-level Office project?

If we use the community version of Visual Studio, we need to install the Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio separately to support Office developing.

You can check it like figure below:

If you have installed it please repair or re-install it to see whether the issue was fixed. We can download the Office Developer tools via web platform installer.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, December 11, 2015 6:52 AM
  • Developer tools are definitely installed. Only when installing this I was able to create a new excel workbook based project.

I am using Office 365 'click-to-run' downloaded from the www.office.com/myaccount website.

I don't think the issue is VS2015 related at all. Issue first occurred when clicking 'upgrade' In Excel 2013. After the upgrade to Excel 2016 all my projects got the incompatble error in VS2013.

I installed VS2015 just because I thought Office 2016 was incompatble with VS2013.

I have reverted back to Office 2013 for now. 

• Edited by Technobil74 Friday, December 11, 2015 9:58 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2015 9:36 AM
  • Hi Technobily74,

Thanks for the detail information for this issue.

It seems that something in the registry was corrupted when the Office upgrading from Office 2013 to Office 2016.

Since the issue couldn't be produce on my environment. I suggest that you uninstall the Office 2013 and install the Office 2016 from scratch to see whether the issue wax fixed.

Regards & Fei

Monday, December 14, 2015 7:00 AM
  • I actually tried removing / reinstalling Office 2016 on both machines, but it didn't help.
    • Edited by Technobil74 Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:40 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 3:40 PM
  • Hi Technobil,

>>I actually tried removing / reinstalling Office 2016 on both machines, but it didn't help.<<

What's the detail version of Office 2016 you were using? To narrow down whether this issue is relative to the Excel corruption, I also suggest that you try it on a clean machine which never install the Office program.

Regards & Fei

Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

I am experiencing exactly this same issue, have you found any solutions for this??

Regards,

Silfrido

Thursday, January 7, 2016 3:25 PM
  • Unfortunately not.

After uninstalling / reinstalling everything on 2 machines twice I have given up.

I have reverted back to using office 2013 + VS2015 Community

Thursday, January 7, 2016 3:34 PM
  • Hi Technobil74,

Did you try the MSI installation of Office 2016? As far as I know, many add-ins might not function as expected when used with Click-to-Run.

You can get more detail about this topic from link below:
    Office 2010 Click-to-Run: Known issues

And I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

Regards & Fei

Friday, January 8, 2016 2:51 AM
  • I have exactly the same issue.

I upgraded from Office 2013 to 2016 (Professional Plus) (from an iso, no click-to-run). I also have Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 installed (and just installed/repaired Office Developer Tools for both).

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:16 PM
  • Hi!

It looks that I've got the same problem:

I have VS2015 Community and Ofice Dev 

I've updated the Office 2013 to Office 365 couple months ago and now I cannot open the Outlook VSTO project created in previously VS2012 (I can create a new one in VS2015 though).

Are there any updates on this issue?

P.S. If I delete the line below from .csproj I can open it and compile, but cannot debug (no executable asssigned) it as I assume it now does not know in needs to run Outlook to this.

<ProjectTypeGuids>{BAA0C2D2-18E2-41B9-852F-F413020CAA33};{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}</ProjectTypeGuids>

Thursday, May 19, 2016 9:54 AM
  • The same problem. Hope to get a solution!
    • Edited by Sedeny Fan Monday, June 20, 2016 3:47 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Sedeny Fan Monday, June 20, 2016 5:44 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sedeny Fan Monday, June 20, 2016 5:44 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2016 3:44 AM
  • Happen to find a temporary solution:

1) Open your solution file, as expected, it appears the incompatible issue. Right click the project and edit your project. Don't do anything, just close the solution again.

2) Open the same solution file again. it appears the incompatible issue again。 Don't worry, right click the project again, a new menu "Reload the Project" appeared!  Yes, reload it.  Click "OK" and "Yes" the following steps. You got it! 

Monday, June 20, 2016 6:00 AM
  • Hi, I have the same issue.

I've installed Microsoft office 365 ProPlus en-us and Visual studio 2015 Community (all options selected) on a very fresh Vmware virtual machine running Windows 10 Pro. All updates are OK.

I can create a Outlook 2013 and 2016 VSTO add-in, use, it, save it but when closed, I cannot reopen it with message "this project is incompatible with the current..."

I checked all previous posts but no solution...

Sedeny Fan's solution doesn't work on my machine

Regards

• Edited by jf_ROLAND Tuesday, June 28, 2016 1:37 PM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 12:34 PM
  • Same here. Has Microsoft guy been working on this issue?
    Saturday, July 23, 2016 4:19 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem.

I had my Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2015 installed and nothing was working since I upgraded ms Office to 2016.

In my case following procedure worked:

1. Download full web installer from here: http://aka.ms/officedevtoolsforvs2015 .

2. Search for "Office" in top right corner and install Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2013 Update

see below (sorry for polish, but i dont know how to change it :-)) -

EDIT: Sorry cannot embedd a picture:( but will dend by email if needed.

After reseting machine, and running VS2015 as administrator, all worked as a charm.

I hope it would be helpful for someone.

Cheers.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 4:39 PM
  • I had the same problem when I migrated from Win7 64 bit / Office 2010 / VS 2013 CE to new system with Win10 64 bit PRO/ Office 2016 64 bit. First I was not capable to add the VSTO tools to the VS 2013 CE; I had to update to VS 2015 and could add the VSTO tools.

The only solution from this thread which worked for me was deleting this line in the CSPROJ file:

<ProjectTypeGuids>{BAA0C2D2-18E2-41B9-852F-F413020CAA33};{FAE04EC0-301F-11D3-BF4B-00C04F79EFBC}</ProjectTypeGuids>

But next problem was, that my code which relied on Outlook events which enabled me to modify the context menu at runtime didn't work. I realized that I had to implement the ribbon stuff. But my project didn't show the item types ribbon / ribbon designer when I tried to add them.

I decided to create a new Outlook add in, and then compared the content of the CSPROJ files. I upgraded some version information in the old file from "12.0" to "14.0", but that did not help. Finally I tried to add the final section from the end, under the xml tag ProjectExtensions\VisualStudio\FlavorProperties (10 lines), because I realized that this section had a "AddItemTemplatesGuid" attribute, which sounded good and seemed to target my problem; my old CSPROJ file had only an empty tag at this place. I had to change the "GeneratedCodeNamespace" property to my projects name, and then tried to reopen the project in VS. I had to load it 2 times (after the first, I got a message to reopen it and check the messages), but it worked !!!

Hope that this may help some people.

/Heiko

• Proposed as answer by jf_ROLAND Friday, October 14, 2016 1:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jf_ROLAND Friday, October 14, 2016 1:15 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:10 PM
  • Hi,

I had the problem but it seems to be fixed with the latest Microsoft updates... Don't know exactly which update but now, I can create a new VSTO Outlook add-in project containing a ribbon... I can save it and re-open without problems... I could not re-open it before...

I hope someone will confirm.

Regards

Friday, October 14, 2016 1:21 PM
  • I encountered same problem today trying to reopen a solution using VS2015 project "Excel 2013 and 2016 VSTO Workbook"  I'm using Excel 2016.  Debugs fine.  Solution won't reopen in VS.  "The project file will load in the background."  What does this mean?
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:00 PM