edge swipe detection on optical multi-touch monitors and all in one pcs

Question

• I am using a Dell ST2220T multi-touch monitor. I am finding it very difficult to get reliable swipes from the edge due to the bezel that is present on all optical based touch screens. Using a plastic stylus, it works fine, but does not always work well with finger.

In the Build conference videos they mention needing to detect the inward swipe over pixel 1.

Is there a way adjust the sensitivity of this? Perhaps there could be a setting that says to use 5 pixels instead of 1 for instance.

I believe this will be a real problem for all those all in one touch PCs out there -- which otherwise will make great Win 8 machines. I think capacitance touch screen on a 20+ inch monitor is way too expensive so optical touch will be here for a while.

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:33 PM

All replies

• +1

I'm using an HP Touchsmart 600 and am experiencing the same problem. It will occur on any screen presenting a bezel. Being able to access to 1px borders around the screen seems to be a very tough constraint (for example cases or sleeves on some tablets could avoid this access, not to mention existing screen designs), especially when your screen is High Dpi...

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:41 AM
  • I have the same monitor. Is there anything new (maybe a regkey) to solve this? I have a lot of pixels, so I can spend some of them for this :)

An answer of a Microsoft employee would be very helpfull.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:14 AM
  • +1

Same issue with HP COmpaq L2105tm monitor

Would love some sort of workaround.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Marilyn
    Friday, October 21, 2011 2:48 AM