How to create a collapse in two different coloumns using SSRS 2008???????? RRS feed

• Question

• User243779184 posted

Hi,

I am creating a report for a company in tat i want two coloumns to have collapse field but now i m getting it for only one coloumn. If i give for the second coloumn automatically the first coloumn collapse is nt there. Please tell me some solution in this as soon as possible.      

Std            subj Name

+First          +Major

+Second      + Major

Like this only i want please help me in this.............

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:10 AM

All replies

• User567269486 posted

these collapse fields are they for the same datasource or same group ?

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:44 AM
  • User243779184 posted

yes i am taking this collapse fields are for the same datasource.

Actually my problem is , I am retrieving data's from a table with consits of diff Location of the company and the vaccancy position in diff technologies, so i have to do like this

+chennai

+skill   (like this some four coloums will come but only for these two i need the collapse )

and also all datas are in the same table only . i have shown u above knw like tat i  want the collapse fields. If i click chennai then only i should get this skill filed. and after tat remaining fields should be displayed .

Please help me in this I am new to this SSRS now only i m slowly learning this and also suggest me some links for this SSRS and also books.

Thanks,

Ravi

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 1:02 PM
  • User567269486 posted

Basically you need one group which is filtered by Location ID and inside that you need another group which is filtered by Skill Id.

This should get you started :

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1329/drill-down-techniques-in-ssrs-with-the-visibility-property/

Tuesday, September 6, 2011 5:03 PM
  • User243779184 posted

Thanks for your help.

As you told in above reply i did the following steps :

1) Location  (this is the first coloumn and in this i m making this as a Parent Group )    

+Chennai

+skills (From the above Parent group i have to make this skills as a Child group or diff Parent group )

2) And intially my report should display only one coloumn and after i m expanding the Location then only i should get skills coloumn and after that if expand the skils coloumn then only the remaining coloumns should be displayed .

So wat can i do for these 2 problems and please suggest me some ideas.

Share the model link for collapse in two coloums .

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:35 AM
  • User243779184 posted

Thanks for your help.

As you told in above reply i did the following steps :

1) Location  (this is the first coloumn and in this i m making this as a Parent Group )    

+Chennai

+skills (From the above Parent group i have to make this skills as a Child group or diff Parent group )

2) And intially my report should display only one coloumn and after i m expanding the Location then only i should get skills coloumn and after that if expand the skils coloumn then only the remaining coloumns should be displayed .

So wat can i do for these 2 problems and please suggest me some ideas.

Share the model link for collapse in two coloums .

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:35 AM
  • User-830595639 posted

Hi Ravi,

I think you are looking for toggling your reporton based upon your groups. So there must be more than two group to have + sign in two column. For this follow these steps

1. Make all your groups.

2. Select the second group, Press F4 and then select the ToggleItem, and provide the First group column name

3. For the third group in the same way provide the Second group column name in toggle item and make the Hidden property True.

I hope this will help you.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 4:12 AM
  • User243779184 posted

sorry its not working for me... Its showing error and the report is not generated for what you suggested .Becoz coloumn name is like group1 ,group2 but in the error its showing like toggle item has the textbox value.

Actually i have created a Parent group for Location (coloumn). I want to knw whether i have to create another parent group for Skills also .

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:37 AM
  • User-830595639 posted

I think you are having problem in defining the toggle item. Please try to take a new table then in the wizard put your columns in Group section on which you want the group and then select the checkbox "Enable Drilldown". And then you can solve your problem

If still you face problem then let me know.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:49 AM
  • User243779184 posted

Hi,

I am creating the report in Report Server Project using BIDS. But i should not use Report Wizard for creating report. So please tell me using this.

See i created a table

1) In tat i m having Location (coloumn) name . To this i have created a Group(Parent). and in visibility properites i set Hide and also check the Toggle item checkbox and selected the coloumn name (Location) frm the dropdwn.

2) So i got the collapse (+) for the Location.. for this if i expand i m getting all the other coloumns .

3) But , Once i have click the collapse (+) Location. I should get (+)Skils collapse . (Now the problem is i m nt getting the collapse for skills)

.4) I did the same as hw i created group for Location. but still i m nt getting.

I think now i have explained clearly . Please help me in tis.......:)

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:27 AM
  • User-830595639 posted

Hi Ravi,

Take one new table, put your all detail columns in it, and follow these steps

1. Create your first group (i.e) parent group with Location, and check the Include Header checkbox

2. After creating this you will get two group section in your RowGroup, one is Location and the other one is Detail. Select the Detail press F4, go to Visibility property and set Hidden to True and ToggleItem to Location, and run your Report you will see the + column before Location.

And if you are defining other subgroup under Location then select that Location group under RowGroup and press F4 and there in Toggle Item select the child group name.

Friday, September 9, 2011 2:45 AM
  • User243779184 posted

Hi Nishantg,

- chennai

+ skill

-Pune

- skill                       

xth std            learn          write        speak

xith std            learn          write          ----

+kochi 

I have shown you a scenario above, like this only i want the solution. I am using BIDS to design this . If i expand the skills the different skills should appear after tat only the other coloumns should be displayed (i.e) (Learn,write,Speak).

So as you told I have to create a subgroup for the skills so please help me for this

Firstly I created a group for LOCATION and the group name is shown  as Group1. as you told from where i have to create subgroup for SKILL .I did as how you told but the problem is I dnt knw how to create a subgroup can u please explain me about tat.

If you give your personal mail id i can send you the document and if you can look into tat you can understand my problem.Please help me in this.......

Friday, September 9, 2011 6:05 AM
  • User-830595639 posted

Hi Ravi,

If you wana to add child group just select the ParentGroup and there you find option for ChildGroup. You can mail me at nishantg.mca@gmail.com.

Friday, September 9, 2011 2:09 PM
  • User243779184 posted

Thanks , I ll try this and if i have any doubt i ll send you the document through mail .

Thank you very much.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 6:47 AM
  • User243779184 posted

Hi,

I have tried to creating the child group by selecting the parent group but i am getting this error.

Error :  [rsInvalidToggleItem] The grouping Group2 has Group2 as a toggle item. Toggle items must be text boxes that share the same scope as the hidden item or are in a scope that contains the hidden item, and cannot be contained within the current report item unless current grouping scope has a Parent.

Monday, September 12, 2011 2:15 AM
  • User-830595639 posted

Check your ToggelItem property for Group2 and make sure that it should be the name of your parent group.

Monday, September 12, 2011 4:31 AM
  • User243779184 posted

I have mailed you my requirement please check on tat and reply me through gmail.

thanks,

Monday, September 12, 2011 4:48 AM