Vccorlib140d_app.DLL Missing RRS feed

• Question

• DesktopAppConverter generates a dependency in AppxManifest.xml for my app which looks like this:

<PackageDependency Name="Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop" MinVersion="14.0.23810.0" Publisher="CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US" />

If I launch the app, I get this error message:

"The code execution cannot proceed because vccorlib140_app.DLL was not found..."

In order to fix it I changed the dependency to:

<PackageDependency Name="Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00" MinVersion="14.0.24605.0" Publisher="CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US" />

Now, the app installed from the .appx launches just fine. But when I launch the app in the Visual Studio debugger, I again get the above error message. Question: what library corresponds to "Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00" and how can I link to it in VS?

Monday, July 16, 2018 2:15 PM

All replies

• DesktopAppConverter creates the following dependencies in AppxManifest.xml for my app:

<Dependencies>
        <TargetDeviceFamily Name="Windows.Desktop" MinVersion="10.0.0.0" MaxVersionTested="10.0.0.0" />
        <PackageDependency Name="Microsoft.VCLibs.110.00.UWPDesktop" MinVersion="11.0.61130.40" Publisher="CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US" />
        <PackageDependency Name="Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop" MinVersion="14.0.23810.0" Publisher="CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US" />

</Dependencies>

If I run my app, vccorlib140_app.DLL and a few others with the _app extension are reported missing. To fix it, I replaced the dependencies and repackaged the bundle:

<Dependencies>
        <TargetDeviceFamily Name="Windows.Desktop" MinVersion="10.0.14393.0" MaxVersionTested="10.0.16299.15" />
        <PackageDependency Name="Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00" MinVersion="14.0.24605.0" Publisher="CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US" />
      </Dependencies>

My question: Is there any option to DesktopAppConverter which would produce the correct dependencies?

Monday, July 16, 2018 1:41 PM
  • You can download the C++ Runtime v14 framework package for Desktop Bridge (Project Centennial) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53175 

The right package will be automatically installed by the store when the app is deployed that way. If you're side-loading then you'll need to add it yourself. 

For more details see the "Prepare to Package" topic in the Desktop Bridge documentation at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-prepare . The section "Your app uses a VCLibs framework package" discusses this.

• Proposed as answer by Azat Tazayan Monday, July 16, 2018 8:03 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2018 5:54 PM
  • Thanks for pointing me to that article, but it applies only to half of my problem. One half was getting the .appx to find the right libraries and the other half, linking to the correct libraries in Visual Studio. To make things even more delicate, I need to mention, that my project uses Visual Studio 2015, but most of the documentation refers to 2017 (and I can't change that right now).

What I still don't understand is, how do the dependencies from the manifest relate to libraries to link to in Visual Studio. I fixed the .appx  (sideloading) deployment by changing the dependency "Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop" to "Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00". Now I'd like to fix my Visual Studio project to allow me to run the project in the debugger. Starting the app shows the same error messages like the .appx launch before I changed the dependency.

Here are my additional #using directories from my project file:

<AdditionalIncludeDirectories>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\$(WINDOWS_SDK)\um;%(AdditionalIncludeDirectories)</AdditionalIncludeDirectories>
    <AdditionalUsingDirectories>
     $(VSInstallDir)VC\vcpackages;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\UnionMetadata;
     C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\References\Windows.Foundation.UniversalApiContract\3.0.0.0;
     C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\References\Windows.Foundation.FoundationContract\2.0.0.0;
     C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\References\Windows.ApplicationModel.FullTrustAppContract\1.0.0.0;
     $(VCToolsInstallDir)lib\$(PlatformTarget)\store\references
    </AdditionalUsingDirectories>

VCToolsInstallDir appears to be undefined in Visual Studio 2015. I tried to point it to VS 2017 but that didn't help.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:00 PM