Room for improvement in multitasking

General discussion

• I've been using Windows 8 for about a week now. It is the same as any other beta/milestone OS I've used, unstable. Not what I'm going to discuss. What has really been bothering me goes all the way back to All thing's D. Where they showed off the fluidity of the system. What I noticed was that the presenter used the words "fast" and "fluid". At first I was impressed by the overall speed of the OS' fast switching but It wasn't until my second day using it that I realized how inefficient multitasking is... on a tablet. So far the efficiency of switching on a Desktop PC is somewhat unexpected mostly due to Alt Tab switching. Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen an equivalent to it on the tablet's side. What really brings cringes to my nerves is that they were showing off this inefficient way of multitasking as if it were something that was going to stay there. What I would like to see is moving the Alt Tab to the left like in "swiping" having all the open Apps in their small tile (or thumbnail) form bringing about amazing efficiency with it. Here is my concept of it...

The "Desktop" text was on purpose. Always thinking about the people with bad eyesight unable to find out what App it is at a glance. 

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:56 PM

All replies

• Seconded
    0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:15 AM
  • I like it-the quick flick works if you only have a couple of things open, but after two or three you really need to see thumbnails.  Even if it was something similar to the way that WP7 handles multitasking it'd be an improvement. I got the impression from talking to people at build though that there were improvements coming.  For example, there's also a bug where if an application is killed by the OS for low memory conditions, it disappears from the back stack, which is pretty confusing from a user perspective. 

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Chris,

What you describe as a bug is not a bug, it's how they designed it. Only apps that are currently "open" (i.e. still memory resident) are shown in the open apps list; if the app is closed because the system is low on memory, then it's not supposed to show up anymore.

I agree that it is very confusing from a user perspective, as is the entire design of task management (if you can call it that) in Metro.

Moderator | MCTS .NET 2.0 Web Applications | My Blog: http://www.commongenius.com
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:04 PM