none
Will not open uproject file.

Question

• I receive this error when I try to open an UE4 uproject file.

"The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version:

UE4Editor-AJ_Magic_Marble.dll

Would you like to rebuild them now?"

Then when I rebuild I get this:

"AJ_Magic_Marble could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually"

So I tried to generate Visual Studio Project files and this error happens:

Running C:/Program Files (x86)/Epic Games/4.10/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe  -projectfiles -project="C:/Users/Charles/Desktop/Mobile_Wondercon/Unreal Engine/AJ_Magic_Marble/AJ_Magic_Marble.uproject" -game -rocket -progress
    Visual C++ 2015 toolchain does not appear to be correctly installed. Please verify that "Common Tools for Visual C++ 2015" was selected when installing Visual Studio 2015.
    Visual C++ 2015 toolchain does not appear to be correctly installed. Please verify that "Common Tools for Visual C++ 2015" was selected when installing Visual Studio 2015.
    Discovering modules, targets and source code for game...
    UnrealBuildTool Exception: ERROR: Windows SDK v8.1 must be installed in order to build this target.

I have downloaded the proper files and still no go. Everywhere I have looked says to uninstall Visual Studio, reinstall it, and when I reinstall to make sure that I checked the Common Tools for Visual C++. However in the Add/Remove program section it only allows me to change it and not uninstall. 

I have tried everything that I can find. I spent three hours on April 1, 2016 with a MS Tech controlling my computer via Log Me In and we were not able to resolve my issue. 

I am running Windows 10 right now. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

I had photos of everything but this text area did not allow me to post them so I had to type everything and it made the fonts all different sizes when I removed the photos. 

Thank You

Tuesday, April 05, 2016 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hi RandomHero7,

Please check whether do you have generated the uproject file to Visual Studio files. If not, please try with following steps to generate Visual Studio files and then open in Visual Studio.

1. Navigate to the location of [ProjectName].uproject in Windows Explorer.
    2. Right-click on the [ProjectName].uproject file and select "Generate Visual Studio Files".
    3. UnrealBuildTool updates the project files and the solution, including generating Intellisense data.
    4. Open the [ProjectName].sln Visual Studio solution located in the root of the project's directory to view the game project in Visual Studio.

If have generated, please try create a new default uproject file and open it again to confirm whether it is related to your specific project or Visual Studio itself.

If the new file can be opened, the problem is caused by your project, I suggest you check your project first.

If related to Visual Studio itself, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 7:18 AM
  • I have tried that and when I do I get this Error Message.

Running C:/Program Files (x86)/Epic Games/4.10/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe  -projectfiles -project="C:/Users/Charles/Desktop/Mobile_Wondercon/Unreal Engine/AJ_Magic_Marble/AJ_Magic_Marble.uproject" -game -rocket -progress
    Discovering modules, targets and source code for game...
    UnrealBuildTool Exception: ERROR: Windows SDK v8.1 must be installed in order to build this target.

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 6:10 PM
  • Hi RandomHero7,

Do you have tried create a new file and do the same steps?

If the problem still exist, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. Then share the logs here through OneDrive. We will analysis your installation logs to check whether there has any problems when installing.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, April 07, 2016 1:29 AM
  • After I run the VScollect the command prompt window pops up with a lot of information then disappers. I am not sure where to locate the logs to share. 

Saturday, April 09, 2016 8:37 PM
  • Hi RandomHero7,

After running the VScollect and the command prompt window disappers, please go to the path of "C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\Temp". There will be a vslogs.zip file, which stores all Visual Studio installation logs. Please share this file to OneDrive and add the link here.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, April 11, 2016 3:15 AM
  • https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=58CB8EB682AC98C7!606&authkey=!AFFn96R81dtxbJo&ithint=file%2czip
    Monday, April 11, 2016 7:44 PM
  • Hi RandomHero7,

According to the installation, I found there has some errors when installing your Visual Studio. So I'm afraid that you need to repair your Visual Studio first to check whether this problem can be fixed.

Error 0x80131902: Failed to create the managed bootstrapper application.
    Error 0x80131902: Failed to create UX.
    Error 0x80131902: Failed to load UX.
    Error 0x80131902: Failed while running

If after repairing, the problem still exist, I suggest you reinstall your Visual Studio with following steps.

1. Uninstall Visual Studio with command vs_community.exe /uninstall /force
    2. Removing Visual Studio components left behind after uninstalling with this blog's guidance.
    3. Downloading the Visual Studio 2015 ISO Installer from the official site.
    4. Please use FCIV.exe http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290 to verify hash of the ISO. Any discrepancy would indicate that the file was corrupted. The sha1 value of Visual Studio 2015 Community ISO, please refer to: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-iso-sha1-vs.aspx
    5. Run the installer as administrator to make sure it has enough permissions do anything when installing.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 2:57 AM
  • Wednesday, April 13, 2016 4:56 PM
  • I am not very familiar with using the command prompt and I am unsure how to set up the command you sent me. 

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 4:57 PM
  • Hi RandomHero7,

If you don't familiar with command prompt, please try uninstall your Visual Studio from Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Visual Studio 2015 -> Change (right-click) -> Uninstall.

Then try above steps from steps 2 and please tell me the result for these steps after executing. I will wait for your response.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:08 AM