merge replication specific tables /rows RRS feed

• Question

• hello, we are new in replication.

we are using merge replication with sql server 2008 between the db server and windows mobile 6.1+6.5 handheld devices through web synchronization(iis-virtual directory etc)

1)can we somehow on the client/or server (through c# for example) synchronize only specific tables and not all tables?what is the best way of doing this?

2)can we somehow synchronize only specific rows from a selected table and not the entire table? for example if there are 5 row updates on the client i want to synchronize back to the server only 3 . what is the best way of doing this?

thanks

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:55 PM

All replies

• Yes you can on the publication level. So a publication can consist of 5 tables and another publication can consist of 7 tables (4 of these being included in the other publication, and 3 being new ones).

You might also be able to do dynamic filtering so that a particular mobile device would get one set of data, and another a different set of data.

However, there is no way to have one publication, and only subscribe to a subset of those tables with merge replication. You can do this with transactional publications (which are not supported on SQL CE devices).

looking for a book on SQL Server 2008 Administration? http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Server-2008-Management-Administration/dp/067233044X looking for a book on SQL Server 2008 Full-Text Search? http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Full-Text-Search-Server-2008/dp/1430215941
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:41 PM
    Answerer
  • hi, thks for the answer
    1)so for being able to sync only e.g. 3 out of 5 tables i need to make two publications. but this will not create two database
    files in the windows mobile device, i mean if i have two publications then i will have two sql ce databases corect?

again i dont mean about subscribing to a subset i mean synchronizing only a subset of tables. for instance a salesman has subscribed to
    a database with tables customers, sales, products. i want to be able to sync lets say only customers and products and later sync only sales or sync all 3 tables.

2)for the second question i think that you have misunderstood me, i mean that if i have a table invoices and i have inserted 5 rows, i want to synch back only 3 of them, and later i want to sync the rest 2. can i do this selective sync in merge replication? i mean syncing from the client to the server. dynamic filtering is for sending data from the server to the client and its diffrent from what i need for my case.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:31 AM