none
Adding files to an OS image RRS feed

• General discussion

• This has been driving me batty for two days. The lessons learned are:

1. The Microsoft documentation is half the story only.
    2. The Power Toys only tell the other half of the story.

Environment:

• Visual Studio 2005 with all the updates, running as Administrator under Windows 7.
    • Windows CE 6.0 R3
    • Arm V4 board (actually a TI OMAP3530 based system).

I wanted to add a piece of managed code - in this case a Hello CE application.

The steps that make it work are:

1. Download the CE Powertoys content tool from http://cecontentwiz.codeplex.com/
    2. use it to add the file you want, and it will build a subproject.
    3. Add the file in the project.bib file. YOU MUST DO THIS!

The following project.bib works IF the subproject has been compiled ok 9which bascially puts the HelloCE.exe into the release directory):

;
    ; Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    ;
    ;
    ; Use of this sample source code is subject to the terms of the Microsoft
    ; license agreement under which you licensed this sample source code. If
    ; you did not accept the terms of the license agreement, you are not
    ; authorized to use this sample source code. For the terms of the license,
    ; please see the license agreement between you and Microsoft or, if applicable,
    ; see the LICENSE.RTF on your install media or the root of your tools installation.
    ; THE SAMPLE SOURCE CODE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITH NO WARRANTIES.
    ;
    MODULES
    ; Name      Path                      Memory Type
    ; -------------- --------------------------------------------- -----------

FILES
    ; Name      Path                      Memory Type
    ; -------------- --------------------------------------------- -----------
    HelloCE.exe   $(_FLATRELEASEDIR)\HelloCE.exe  NK   

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:55 AM

All replies

• Is there a question here?  What do the PowerToys have to do with this?
    Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:55 AM
  • So, there's no problem adding an EXE file and you're doing it right there, it seems to me.  You've put it into the FILES section, where managed code must go.  If you want to include the managed code from a subproject in Platform Builder, isn't there a BIB file for that?  And, if so, have you added the output of the build of that subproject to the BIB file?  And if so, have you verified whether you are expecting it to be in the flat release folder or maybe a subfolder of the project itself, or in the platform output folder, etc.?  Are you setting, Copy To Release Folder on the project?

Paul T.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:57 PM
  • Bruce, no, I'm not asking a question. When you post here you can :"ask a question" or "start a discussion". I know not many people do the latter, but I did. Why all the aggro? If you can't contribute, you don't have to post something, you know.

Paul - yes, I'm doing it right. That's why I posted it. There are several other threads here going back in time asking the same question that have not been answered. I figured it out myself and put this here for the next person who does a search. To be honest, I've posted several questions on Microsoft forums and have never once had them answered. What the powertoys have to do with it is that CEFileWiz is one of the CE Poweroys .. but then you knew that, right?

If I'm doing it wrong, then explain why (a) it works and (b) the method in the CEFileWiz blogs (at least, the ones I've read or watched) and the one in the MSDN documentation don't work.

Friday, March 11, 2011 12:11 AM
  • Well, you didn't say anything at all about using CEFileWiz, did you? 

I responded in the way that I did becuase you didn't tell us what you did with enough detail to understand what you did.  We certainly can't comment on what you have read or watched becuase you haven't told us what you have read or watched, or what you did.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Friday, March 11, 2011 11:33 AM