Scrum Without Iterations RRS feed

• Question

• Sounds odd I'm sure. We (the development team) use TFS and the Scrum 2.2 Process. All that is going well. There is another team in the company - they do IT work but they are more of a support team. They test problems reported by phone calls, test application modifications, manage industry required updates and regulations, generate customer reports, etc. They are really not project based, just a lot of small, unrelated tasks usually 1 day or less.

They are looking for something to help manage and schedule the tasks as they come in and are resolved. They don't care about reporting much. The Scrum boards our team uses are very appealing to the manager. As they currently use Excel for tracking the Excel/TFS integration is also very attractive.

I've started to set up a TFS sandbox for them to play around with but I'm stuck on how to setup iterations. They just don't follow the release/sprint model. When tasks are done they're done - they don't wait for a release.

From what I know of Scrum with TFS a lot of the functionality is driven off the iterations.

Anyone have some suggestions as to how I might implement Scrum/TFS for this team?

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by remarkm Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:10 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:07 AM

Answers

• Hi remarkm

I believe this need long discussion, and everybody answer will for sure so different from others.

For me I think the best approach to do this is by using a ticketing system “like System Center 2012 - Service Manager” with integration with TFS. And you can submit just the items that need development efforts. These items can be registered on TFS, prioritized, developed and tested with any TFS process template. (You can ignore this if you don’t want ticketing system).

Other thing that you need to address, is where to register these items, in the related team project (for example ERP tickets to be registered in TFS ERP team project), or in single team project that represents all the tickets for all projects. For sure this should be your decision.

Scrum process will not serve you in this case, however you can use TFS Scrum process template to handle your case, but here you should ignore the sprint as scrum concept. You can just ignore it, or you can use it for different purposes by create sprint for each month for reporting, even you can create sprint for any set of period that represents number of tickets.

Just be sure to create a requirement for each ticket, and link the task and test cases with this requirement, and link the bugs with the related test cases, and you will have all tfs features as you are using SCRUM.

As I have mentioned, this just what I have in mind, and hope this will help you.

Regards

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:15 AM
  • You could also look at the ALM Rangers' Kanban Template.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi remarkm

I believe this need long discussion, and everybody answer will for sure so different from others.

For me I think the best approach to do this is by using a ticketing system “like System Center 2012 - Service Manager” with integration with TFS. And you can submit just the items that need development efforts. These items can be registered on TFS, prioritized, developed and tested with any TFS process template. (You can ignore this if you don’t want ticketing system).

Other thing that you need to address, is where to register these items, in the related team project (for example ERP tickets to be registered in TFS ERP team project), or in single team project that represents all the tickets for all projects. For sure this should be your decision.

Scrum process will not serve you in this case, however you can use TFS Scrum process template to handle your case, but here you should ignore the sprint as scrum concept. You can just ignore it, or you can use it for different purposes by create sprint for each month for reporting, even you can create sprint for any set of period that represents number of tickets.

Just be sure to create a requirement for each ticket, and link the task and test cases with this requirement, and link the bugs with the related test cases, and you will have all tfs features as you are using SCRUM.

As I have mentioned, this just what I have in mind, and hope this will help you.

Regards

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:15 AM
  • You could also look at the ALM Rangers' Kanban Template.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:37 PM
  • Hi Remarkm,

Thanks for your post.

For this scenario, Samara and Jesse provided us the helpful suggestions, please confirm that.

John Qiao [MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:19 AM
  • Thanks for both responses.

As to Samara081's suggestions I've wondered whether TFS is the solution for this team. They were looking at some 3rd party offerings. While they were full featured apps with lot's of bells & whistles I think they were what I call "a $20 solution to a $5 problem". So cost considerations, ramp up requirements make for a not particularly attractive option. While I have not reviewed MS Service Manager I am hesitant to bring any new package in. They may well go with something besides TFS but I wanted to offer them a useable option since the infrastructure and expertise is already in place.

For Jesse's thoughts on the Kanban process - I was not aware that there was a process template and guidance for this. I am reviewing now. Looks like a leaner version of the Scrum templates but it still appears to be driven by the iteration to some degree and that has been my ongoing concern.

I could possibly just use an arbitrary one week or one month sprint and just not configure any releases. Not sure how the system would react to that.

The team does use a white board now with swim lanes but their states are just ToDo, In Progress, Validated and Done. There really isn't any further breakdown or discipline involved. That's not to say they might need to be a bit more granular but they are not there yet. That might be a plus for the Kanban template. It appears that changing the  workflow, etc. is easier to do in process than it is with the Scrum templates.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Hi Remarkm, 

Thanks for your reply.

Could I change the type of this post to General Discussions? Or we will close this post? 

John Qiao [MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, August 23, 2013 2:32 AM
  • John I would like to keep this open for a bit longer and see if anyone else will weigh in on the subject.
    • Marked as answer by remarkm Friday, September 6, 2013 11:39 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by remarkm Friday, September 6, 2013 11:39 PM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 2:26 PM