Business Rule Error Message: "Date postfix argument expected." RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, when I try to create a business rule on a date field I get the following error message:

"Date postfix argument expected."

To recreate:

1. I have an entity with a DateTime leaf member attribute. This attribute also has change tracking enabled.

2. I then try to create a business rule with the IF "has changed condition".

3. When I try to save this rule, I get the error stated above.

I'm not sure what the error means, any ideas? The error does not occur with non-DateTime attributes. Thanks!

http://www.henryong.com

• Edited by Henry Ong Monday, April 23, 2012 8:02 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The default date formate is mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss AM/PM. 

Eg., 12/31/1994 12:00:00 AM.

If the value is in above mentioned format, you will not get "Date postfix argument expected" error.

The "Date postfix argument expected" error occurs due to unavailability of time stamp at end of date.

Hope this will help you !

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:21 PM
  • Some more information from Henry would be helpful. I have created a rule on 2012 and got no error (but I have not enabled change tracking for that particular entity).

1) What version of MDS are you using MDS 2008 R2 or MDS 2012? Am I correct to assume 2008 R2?

2) What change tracking group have you used for the "has changed" condition?

3) What action has been selected?

Kind regards,

Modesto

Monday, April 8, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

This issue has been fixed after install Service Pack 1 for SQL Server 2012. For more information, please see the KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2674317

Regards,

Nagesh CL

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The default date formate is mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss AM/PM. 

Eg., 12/31/1994 12:00:00 AM.

If the value is in above mentioned format, you will not get "Date postfix argument expected" error.

The "Date postfix argument expected" error occurs due to unavailability of time stamp at end of date.

Hope this will help you !

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:21 PM
  • This is a problem for me as well.  when a date field changes, I want to change another attribute value.  can't even get the business rule to save.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Anyone found a solution to this issue? The initial version of MDS in SQL Server 2008 R2 had an issue with Date Attributes and the "equals" Action (i.e. the target attribute was never set). Now we have an issue with Date Attributes and the "has changed" Condition. Makes me wonder if anyone is testing this stuff.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:41 PM
  • Hello,

Still no workaround for this issue ? The one proposed above does not work as MDS does not accept hh:mm:ss date definition, it only handles days months and years... I tried on both Admin UI and Excel Add-in and 

1) Admin  drop down does not includes hours

2) One can put it manually in Excel in Attribute Property but once you close the popup it gets erased...

So for now change tracking is not supported on dates ?

Regards,

Friday, April 5, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Some more information from Henry would be helpful. I have created a rule on 2012 and got no error (but I have not enabled change tracking for that particular entity).

1) What version of MDS are you using MDS 2008 R2 or MDS 2012? Am I correct to assume 2008 R2?

2) What change tracking group have you used for the "has changed" condition?

3) What action has been selected?

Kind regards,

Modesto

Monday, April 8, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

This issue has been fixed after install Service Pack 1 for SQL Server 2012. For more information, please see the KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2674317

Regards,

Nagesh CL

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

Having been through the mill on this one, I can confirm you won't get a fix for this, nor a workaround.

There *is* a workaround for this, but don't expect to get it from Connect, MSDN or support.

Basically the core code is not capable of mixing datatypes in a Unique rule.

So make a new text attribute. Set a Business Rule to 'Set value' to the concatenated unique columns you need, including some delimiters.

Now set a Unique Business Rule following that one that enforces uniqueness on your newly created text value.

In short, the Unique Rule core code will not convert numeric or date to string, but the 'set value' will.

It is a shame that MDS has so much potential, but is so poorly supported.

• Proposed as answer by mor10w Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:07 PM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:30 AM