Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'User_ID'. table 'MasterDataServices.mdm.tblNotificationUsers': column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails. RRS feed

• Question

• When using the excel add in a user is updating a value they have permissions to. In turn this should trigger a notification, This has worked for this user before. However the excel add-in now gives the error:

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'User_ID'. table 'MasterDataServices.mdm.tblNotificationUsers': column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

the user exists in the database but I cannot find out why this occurs. any ideas?

Thursday, January 10, 2019 4:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Verify the business rules applied on the entity tblNotificationUsers.

I think you have some rules that is preventing you to insert NULL values in this column.

Ousama EL HOR

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer"  of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful"  button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

[User Page]     [MSDN Page]     [Blog]     [Linkedin]

Thursday, January 10, 2019 9:56 AM
  • This is not an entity I have created, this is the MDS notification function

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/master-data-services/notifications-master-data-services?view=sql-server-2017

User_ID in tblNotificationUsers is correctly set to NOT NULL, as a value should always exist.

It appears that [mdm].[udpCreateValidationNotificationQueue] should coalesce the user id and the usergroupID when looking up  [mdm].[tblBRBusinessRule] The rule in question has a UserGroup ID which corresponds to [mdm].[tblUserGroup] 

In this case both userID and usergroupID are being returned as NULL which is not correct. 

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 12:11 AM