Adls gen 2 ACL permissions powershell multiple entries RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am trying to give ACL permissions to ADLS Gen 2 via Powershell.

I am successful if I grant one AD group an access at the directory level. If I try to give access to another AD group via the same script, this new AD group is now visible, and not the first one. 

Please advise on how I can add ACLs for the two AD groups to the same directory via powershell

$id = (Get-AzADGroup -DisplayName $adgroup).Id
    $acl = (Get-AzDataLakeGen2Item -Context $ctx -FileSystem $filesystem -Path $path).ACL
    $acl = New-AzDataLakeGen2ItemAclObject -AccessControlType Group -EntityId $id -Permission $permission -InputObject $acl

Update-AzDataLakeGen2Item -Context $ctx -FileSystem $filesystem -Path $path -Acl $acl[$acl.Count-1] 

Thanks

Monday, May 11, 2020 4:56 AM

Answers

• Hello KamaleshKannan1 and thank you for your question.  Thank you for the steps to reproduce the issue.  Very helpful.

Here are my findings:

When I used 
    Update-AzDataLakeGen2Item -Context $ctx -FileSystem $filesystem -Path $path -Acl $acl[$acl.Count-1] 
    All of the existing acls were replaced, instead of added to.  Only the new item appeared when I looked using
    (Get-AzDataLakeGen2Item -Context $ctx -FileSystem $filesystem -Path $path).ACL

When I used
    Update-AzDataLakeGen2Item -Context $ctx -FileSystem $filesystem -Path $path -Acl $acl
    The pre-existing and new item group both appeared.  I saw both the old acls and the new group when I looked using

This means Update-AzDataLakeGen2Item  is an overwrite, not an append, to the acl's.

To add multiple groups, the process would look like this:

#Get existing acl's on item

$acl = (Get-AzDataLakeGen2Item -Context $ctx -FileSystem $filesystem -Path $path).ACL

#Get the first group's ID

$id = (Get-AzADGroup -DisplayName $adgroup1).Id

#Add the first group to the acl object

$acl = New-AzDataLakeGen2ItemAclObject -AccessControlType Group -EntityId $id -Permission $permission -InputObject $acl

#Get the second group's ID

$id = (Get-AzADGroup -DisplayName $adgroup2).Id

#Add the second group to the acl object

#update the item using the new acl entry which contains both group updates

Update-AzDataLakeGen2Item -Context $ctx -FileSystem $filesystem -Path $path -Acl $acl

Does this make sense?

Monday, May 11, 2020 10:11 PM

All replies

• Hello KamaleshKannan1 and thank you for your question.  Thank you for the steps to reproduce the issue.  Very helpful.

Here are my findings:

When I used 
    All of the existing acls were replaced, instead of added to.  Only the new item appeared when I looked using

When I used
    The pre-existing and new item group both appeared.  I saw both the old acls and the new group when I looked using

This means Update-AzDataLakeGen2Item  is an overwrite, not an append, to the acl's.

To add multiple groups, the process would look like this:

#Get existing acl's on item

#Get the first group's ID

$id = (Get-AzADGroup -DisplayName $adgroup1).Id

#Add the first group to the acl object

#Get the second group's ID

$id = (Get-AzADGroup -DisplayName $adgroup2).Id

#Add the second group to the acl object

#update the item using the new acl entry which contains both group updates

Does this make sense?

Monday, May 11, 2020 10:11 PM
  • That's really nice. I tried various methods but didn't think of this as an overwrite instead of append.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 6:26 AM