Expression Web4 jeopardizes related links to images in another folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have got trouble with exactly one htm file, containing links to images located in another folder.

The site in bilingual. The original htm files are located in /deutsch/ the images are located in /deutsch/ images.

The translation is in /english/. The image references are all defined as ../deutsch/images/[whatever-image.jpg].

That works perfectly for almost all pages. When saving one of that files a dialog "save embeded files" appears and i can set with "set action" not to make a copy of those files but make that page refer to the existing file.
    It's a bit annoying to must pass that dialog on every saving, but I got accustomed to it.

For a reason that I ignore, on exactly one file info.htm, EW 4 behaves differently.

Upon saving, whenever I chose "set action and  "make the page refer to the existing file" it keeps just removing all "../deutsch/images/" from the source code.
    I could not get rid of that.

The only way i have found is to not save the file in EW and cut and paste the code in a plain text editor, which works now online.
    But if I recall the page on EW it will be jeopardized again.

Thank you for your help
    • Edited by RIN67630 Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:59 PM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:57 PM

All replies

• There is no reason EW will give you an image saving prompt if the links to images in the page point to image files that already exist in the site.    Your description of what is happening is very confusing.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 11:22 PM
  • Sounds as if the OP is editing live with FTP

Expression Web MVP

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Looks like this might be one of the posts where the OP never returns, so we'll never know what's really going on. : )
    • Edited by KathyW2 Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:21 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 9:21 PM
  • The images point to images defined in another "site" from the point of wiew of EW.

The complete website consists of two different EW "sites" one for each language. 

That has historical reasons, coming from Frontpage and its obsolete shared borders.

But you gave me an idea: maybe i could now try to bundle the two folders in one single site, I will try that this week.

Thank you.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 8:49 AM
  • Thank you Kathy, you gave me a way to solve my problem. I have now put everything in a single site and got rid of all the  "save embeded files"  dialogs.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:21 AM
  • Glad to hear it.

If someone helps you, it's a good idea to mark the helpful post (or posts) as answers so anyone else with a similar problem sees the answers at the top of the thread.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:14 AM
  • It was not a direct answer to the question, which remains open: why does EW behave that (wrong) way with one file?

Putting everything in the same site just avoided the situation, it did not answer the original question.

But that question might be probably uninteresting anyway, since EW will not be maintained any more.

Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:31 PM