none
EPM 2010 updated and recalculated automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm new with EPM and Sharepoint and i need to develop some interaction between Sharepoint and EPM.

i have got an infopath which can be used to update budget and task. (Information already in a project document)

As the user can update a status, the budget or create a new task, these information has to be reflected into the existing document on the project server.

Tell me if i'm wrong, but i guess i have to use the PSI ? (That's the interface with all the services) ?

I will have to call a specific method to update my project and at the end, i would like to know if the project document can be recalculated automatically (via a call of a web service or something else ?) or if the project manager has to open the document for a manual validation and doing the calculation  ?

Also, if you have good references about EPM - Sharepoint, don't hesitate to share the link :)

Thank you for your help

Math

Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:13 PM

All replies

• I read this article, but i m  still not sure that the recalculation will be done automatically by triggering any kind of event.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg237661.aspx

Is there anybody who knows any information regarding UpdateStatus ?

Thank you.

Math

Thursday, March 1, 2012 1:20 PM
  • I'm not sure if I understand what you wish to accomplish. Project Server itself mainains no documents - it persists its planning information (projects, tasks, assignments) in database tables that are to be accessed using the PSI. Documents that relate to a project can be placed on the associated Team Site. I assume that your InfoPath document resides in there - quite seperate from the actual project information.

If this is the case, you indeed have a kind of two way synchronisation - actions done in Project Server (e.g. the PWA grid) to get reflected in your InfoPath document (and potentially vice versa - posting data from the InfoPath document back to Project Server). Is this what you try?

Jan Cirpka

Monday, March 5, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Project Server runs over SharePoint and uses its core functionality, that is, List, Libraries etc. Regarding projects' tasks, scheduling, resources etc you have to use PSI to update those. There are event hadlers for Projects which can be used according to your need.    

Thanks, Kashif

Monday, March 5, 2012 7:41 AM
  • Hi Fix!

In addition to Kashif post

1) You may write project server Event Handler wich fires on project changes (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg615466.aspx). When changes occur Event handler may changes you infopath form (or any other document) located anywhere you pointed.

2) you may write code (VBA for example) on you infopath form (or other MS office document). This code may connect to project server and use PSI to change project properties you like to change.

PS: But it is not so easy as I told above. Try to use OLAP Excel Reports (or other powerfull reporting features of MS EPM 2010) to analyse project progress, status and forecast.

Hope this helps!

Vadim Gerya, PMP

Monday, March 5, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Thanks for the update.

Maybe more information to clarify some point:

The user will not open the infopath through a sharepoint portal, the info path will be saved on the hard disk. The user will be able to update Hours / Status and create a new task.

Per project, there is an info path with a list of tasks assigned to the user. One the user will plug his laptop on the netword, he will be able to update these information in the project document saved on the project server.

If i understand clearly, i need to use an existing service (PSI) and develop that call into VBA code ? is there any existing example ?

Thanks,

Math

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 12:26 PM