Visual Studio XAML editor missing features RRS feed

• Question

• Using the same settings as in VS11 CP I'm not getting the same XAML editor behavior as before, which is quite frustrating. For example, I always enable "position each attribute on a new line", but now elements no longer get auto-aligned (and indented) when I close an opening or a closing tag. Yet I have the 3 auto-formatting events checked in the XAML -> Formatting tab.
    Another annoying thing is I can't seem to find the 'keep first attribute on opening line" (or something similar in wording) option, so the first attribute of each element automatically wraps to the next line :

<Grid
                    Height="110"
                    Margin="6">

Was this moved somewhere else or just removed ?

My 2 cents : if it ain't broken don't fix it...

Saturday, June 2, 2012 1:56 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

I was able to reproduce the first issue you describe. We will try to address it for this release.

For the second item, we unfortunately had to remove it for this release. However, I will take this feedback to our team and see what we can do here as well.

Thanks,
    Unni

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 2, 2012 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

I was able to reproduce the first issue you describe. We will try to address it for this release.

For the second item, we unfortunately had to remove it for this release. However, I will take this feedback to our team and see what we can do here as well.

Thanks,
    Unni

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 2, 2012 6:43 PM
  • Hi,

Here's the exact scenario : when you insert an element such as <TextBlock> say in an existing <Grid> in the XAML editor, when you type the closing bracket for the Textblock it no longer gets auto-indented and aligned on a new line within its enclosing <grid> as it did before.  I need to go to the closing tag of the enclosing element, that is the </Grid> tag, and retype the closing bracket so that the newly added <TextBlock> will get correctly formatted and indented within the Grid. The previous behavior was great and I really miss that.

The second feature being removed means I can no longer have the first attribute of an element positionned on the first line of the element, unless I do it manually but this will be overridden each time the element changes and gets auto-formatted.

Also when I paste in a chunk of xaml into an existing element the pasted markup no longer gets auto-formatted properly (though the format on paste option is enabled).  Alhough the inner elements of the pasted block do get auto-formatted, the pasted block and top-level element no longer get properly aligned and indented within the existing element, which means it has to be done manually (unless I'm missing something ?)

These may sound like little details but are actually quite frustrating when working with the editor on a daily basis, especially given the fact that it was just perfect in CP. In all cases it's going to be a long wait until these features get restaured (assuming they will)

• Edited by ykhammal Monday, June 4, 2012 10:44 AM
    Sunday, June 3, 2012 1:30 PM
  • For the second item, we unfortunately had to remove it for this release. However, I will take this feedback to our team and see what we can do here as well.

WHY? We have an existing solution with thousands of xaml files that have been created using this formatting option with VS 10! I don't understant the motivation for removing this option, for us this means a lot of work to format all the xaml files using a new format.

Thanks

Frank_9

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 7:36 PM
  • fully agree
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 8:16 PM
  • Just a quick update - we will be addressing both of these issues for VS 2012 :).

Thanks for your feedback!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 10:46 PM
  • Glad to here that! Very good news!

Thank!

Frank_9

Thursday, June 7, 2012 5:53 PM