No driver for Hwauei E173 USB modem on Windows Developer Preview.

Question

• Is there a way to make the Hwauei E173 USB modem to work under windows8?
    It works just fine under xp/windows7, but under windows8 it wont. The driver installs just fine, but it does not recognize the device.

Any help with that?

Monday, December 5, 2011 2:59 PM

All replies

• Have you installed the newest drivers? If not download them from the manufacturers website. Some drivers might be available using Windows update.

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

Monday, December 5, 2011 7:06 PM
  • It is the latest driver, and it is not available using windows update.

The driver installs, it just doesn't see the device after i plug it in.

Anyway, tried those already, and they failed..

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Hi GodsOtherHand,

does your modem come pre-installed with the driver, or you have downloaded it from the Hwauei site ? Are you working under a multi-boot scenario ?

If in dual or triple-boot you can install the driver from your Windows 7 drive using the Device Manager-Your modem-right click- Properties- Driver- Update- Browse my computer for driver software- Browse to- Your Drive alphabet\Windows\System32\DriverStore- Next

Irfan
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:18 PM
  • well the driver is stored on the device itself, when i insert it i see it as a USB drive with the software there, ready to install it.

I did install it (if i don't install it, the Device Manager doesn't even see the modem).

I also downloaded it from the network provider's website, as i cannot find the driver on Huawei's site.

I was using dual boot, but i removed everything yesterday, as a 32gb SSD is not the perfect place to use multiple OS's.

I will install Windows7 and Windows8 again, and will comeback with a reply.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 2:29 PM
  • You may right-click to explore the contents of the USB modem, right-click on the driver installer to run in compatibility mode.
    Irfan
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 3:07 PM
  • as i said, the driver itself itself installs just fine, it just doesnt recognise the device when i try to connect through it.

Installed it in compatible mode AND ran it in compatibility mode, with XP and 7.

also tryed checking "run as admin"..

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Hi GodsOtherHand,

I'd like to get a better understanding of the problem you're facing.

You've posted that WDP doesn't recognize your device.  But you also mention that if you don't install the driver (from the USB drive that's a part of the device), then device manager doesn't see it.  So that makes me think that something is showing up in device manager after you install the driver.  Is that correct?

If so, what exactly is the problem that you are having?  Does the device show up with an error, like a yellow question mark?  Or is the problem that you cannot connect to your service provider via this device?  Or is it something else?

Thanks,
    Mark

Friday, December 9, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Windows itself sees the device, i get it in device manager, but with the yellow exclamation mark and a error code 10.

But MobilePartner (the "driver" that i use to connect ) doesn't see the device.

Normally, after i install the driver, i fire the program up, click options->choose device.

There i should see E 173, but on WDP, it doesnt show up, so i cannot connect to it.

Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Please try to update it, if you have not already done it, from the Device Manager. Right click the problem driver-Properties-Driver-Update- Search automatically......'. Lets see what Microsoft has to offer you by way of a driver. If that does not work, try disable/uninstall, then Update.
    Irfan
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Thanks for the additional information.

The error code 10 means that the driver is trying to load, but it's hitting an error.

In device manager, please go to the Drivers tab for that device.  Then click on the Driver Details button.  Select each of the drivers that appears in the list.  Then please post the name + file version for each of those files.  This will give me more information about the drivers being used for the device.

Also, can you please provide a link to where you got the MobilePartner software?  If you can't find a link, please tell me what the version of that software is.

Thanks,

Mark

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:54 PM
  • 3 drivers:

1)

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ew_jucdcam.sys

provider: Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd.

file version: 2.6.2.1210 built by: Huawei

2)

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\modem.sys

Provider: Microsoft Corporation

file version: 6.2.8102.0(winmain_win8m3.110823-1455)

3)

C:\Windows\system32\wdfcoinstaller01007.dll

Provider: Microsoft Corporation

File version: 1.7.6001.0 (longhom_rtm.080118-1840)

On the help page, it says version 1.01 on every module.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:34 PM