none
How to configure a 3rd party transaction provider ? RRS feed

• Question

• This blog : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsstore/archive/2012/07/20/making-money-with-your-apps-through-the-windows-store.aspx discusses validating a purchase from external servers using the store receipt. It does not indicate, however, how you integrate a call to an external server into the store's purchase experience. To get a store receipt, you must call RequestAppPurchaseAsync (or RequestProductPurchaseAsync), but by default this call seems to also trigger the store's own transaction provider, that is it will ask for the user's password and then use her configured payment method to complete the purchase. If I want to use an external service for the transaction, how do I plug it in to replace the store's default provider ? Since the blog mentions retrieve a receipt, I suppose the branching takes place AFTER the call to RequestAppPurchaseAsync.  How can you call something like MyServiceAuthenticateAsync followed by MyServiceInitiatePurchaseAsync after RequestAppPurchaseAsync ?
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 5:03 PM

Answers

• There is no integration between the 3rd party API and the store. If you are using a 3rd party transaction system for in-app purchases then you do not track the feature through the CurrentApp object. You need to track it yourself.

The section on the blog about Validating a purchase from your servers is a new section not related to the paragraph about Using your own billing system. The Validating... section discusses how to associate purchases made through the store's in-app purchase system with functionality on your server. If you are using a 3rd party transaction system then it doesn't apply.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by ykhammal Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:53 AM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:30 AM

All replies

• Hello ykhammal,

I'm also trying to configure a 3rd party transaction provider. Sadly, after binging and googling a lot, I failed to find anything useful.

I'm wondering if you find something on your side and if you would be willing to share it?

Thanks in advance,

Tristan

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:33 AM
  • If you want to use a different transaction provider then you use whatever API is provided by that provider instead of the Windows.ApplicationModel.Store classes. In this case your customers would go through your provider's purchase experience rather than the Windows Store purchase experience. You cannot retarget the Windows.ApplicationModel.Store classes to target a 3rd party provider.

--Rob

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:04 AM
  • Actually the question is, if you use a 3d party API how do you integrate with the store ? For example if a customer purchases an in-app product through an external system, how do you set the IsActive property for that product to true in the store to activate the feature ? Currently the only way I know of to activate a product is by calling CurrentApp.RequestProductPurchaseAsync, but here I guess we don't want to do that since we're using a 3d party transaction system for the purchase. This blog post has a section on 'Using your own billing system' but it doesn't really address the question - it suggests using the transaction receipt as an integration point, but does not mention how to acquire such a receipt if not making the purchase through the store.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:15 AM
  • There is no integration between the 3rd party API and the store. If you are using a 3rd party transaction system for in-app purchases then you do not track the feature through the CurrentApp object. You need to track it yourself.

The section on the blog about Validating a purchase from your servers is a new section not related to the paragraph about Using your own billing system. The Validating... section discusses how to associate purchases made through the store's in-app purchase system with functionality on your server. If you are using a 3rd party transaction system then it doesn't apply.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by ykhammal Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:53 AM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:30 AM
  • Rob is right. There is no integration between a 3rd party api like Lotaris  (http://www.lotaris.com/why-use-it) and the Windows Store. In addition, while your apps are still distributed on the Windows Store, the purchase experience and all payments and tracking of features/licenses are handled by 3rd party provider instead of the default Microsoft. 

While some developers may be concerned about the user purchase experience, 3rd parties like Lotaris attempt to differentiate via offering a more attractive revenue share as well as better developer functions in regards to flexible business models and payment options. 

Monday, June 17, 2013 6:47 AM