Some icons will not display

Question

• In the Windows 8 preview, some of the icons won't display.  I don't mean desktop icons (although for some reason I occasionally right-click for them to initially appear, but that's a problem I can at least solve).  Here's an example:

That image is just one I pulled off the internet.  In the menu to the right, I don't see the "Power" icon, just a box.  And that's just one example - I also can't see things like checkmarks, the "Pin"/"Unpin" icons for Apps, and more.  All are replaced with boxes.  How would I go about fixing this?

Sunday, January 29, 2012 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hello teh.elephante,

Have you ever had the icons show up correctly after you installed Windows Developer Preview?

Your problem leads me to believe that a refresh of your PC is the best next course of action.
    The refresh may resolve the other issues, but it is most likely to resolve the missing icons issue.

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:

Your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:

Enter the Start screen

Click Control Panel

Click General on the left column

Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.

Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you can see all of the icons and the Power icon.

It may be necessary to install the drivers from the manufacturers support site again, but test for each of the problems you have experienced
    so far before installing the drivers if they are needed again. After you install the drivers, test to see if your issue is resolved.

Please reply back with an update.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    • Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:52 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 6:11 PM
  • Thank you for answering.  I just have a couple questions before I go through with the refresh - what constitutes "Apps"?  Will this be all my programs, or just apps that were downloaded from the Windows store?  Should I back up files on my computer just in case?  Once again, thank you for you help.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:15 PM
  • Metro apps are considered those that are downloaded from the Microsoft Store. Right now, those would be the apps included with Windows Developer Preview. It would not include any software that you have installed after the installation of the operating system.

It is always better to have a backup in place so you can restore if needed. However, a backup does not include installed software so you would need to have media such as DVD/flash drive or a download point.

If you are still unclear let us know.

Marilyn
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:13 AM