none
EW3 Reports - Custom AutoFilter - is it bugged or is it just me?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

This relates to a previous posting about opening multiple files grouped and located in various sub and sub-sub folders within a site I'm developing to do specific find&replace tasks.  Bare with me because what I've discovered is weird.

So, I have multiple files in sub and sub-sub folders.  These files are .html and .jpg.  The file names begin with '2009_2010_' , '2010_2011_' , '2011_2012_' , etc etc etc.

The structure and contents of all the .html files from 2010_2011_  onwards are exact copies of all the files beginning with 2009_2010_ except that they now have incorrect phrases, images and hyperlinks within them.  So we need to open a block of say all html files beginning with 2010_2011_ and do a find&replace to make them work.  Then do the same on a block of file begining with 2011_2012_ and so on and so on.  Remember that these files are located in different sub and sub-sub folders.  Running a search in windows explorer to find the block of html file works but trying to open them all in EW3 fails - only the first file listed in the search is opened.

In trying to crack this problem, I went to the Reports tab and chose All files.  So far good.  Everything is listed as it should be.   However, in the name column of the report is a little blue arrow which when clicked allows you to open a cutomised AutoFilter dialogue box.  My thinking is filter out the block of files needed, select them in the reports window, right-click and open them all in one go.

Oh, no!  Not for me!  Now, if I choose to autofilter files that 'begin with' 2010_2011_  and 'end with'  .html   absolutely nothing happens!  I still see .jpg files in the report plus every other html file I don't want!!

Has MS goofed on this or is my install of EW3 suspect??

Many thanks

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 8:43 AM

All replies

• I can reproduce that problem in EW3.

However, you could try another approach:

Filter for filenames starting with 2010_2011 in the Name column, and html files in the Type column.
    You can also select (Custom may also fail) a specific folder in the folder column.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Hmm, I can't reproduce it in EW4. Filtering on "Begins with" 'bu" and "Ends with" 'png' for the image bullet-test.png returns the file as expected. Other tests on html files also succeeded.

Just curious, but, well, why are you still using EW3? If you purchased it, you're eligible for a free upgrade to EW4. If you got it through another program (DreamSpark, WebsiteSpark, MSDN, etc.) it should be available to you through that program. Version 4 cured a lot of the ills to which version 3 was subject...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:55 PM