none
A potential security concern has been identified RRS feed

• Question

• I have a split application. Data portion is on a network drive, and the front end piece is being distributed to about 20 users to run off of their local hard drive as an .accde file. All users have Access 2013 installed (nobody running using the runtime environment).

I created a trusted location on each person's hard drive, and that's where my .accde file resides and is launched.  On one of those 20 machines, the user gets the security message "A potential security concern has been identified."  Click "Open" and everything runs as expected with no further warnings until this user ends the session and opens the file the next time.  None of the other users is experiencing this.

I'm sure this isn't related to the trusted locations I set up.  Tried this multiple times on the problem machine, and in multiple places on her local hard drive, and I get the same issue.  I see postings about this problem out there that refer to registry settings.  There may well be an answer out there in these settings, but this is really a novice user who isn't installing anything unusual and doesn't know anything about regedit.  I can't help but think there's a real simple thing that distinguishes this person's laptop from her colleagues'.

Any thoughts?  As I said, this is more of an annoying problem rather than a showstopper.  The application works fine once she replies to the error to just open the database and continue.

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Rich,

This may not be applicable to you but in my work experience, our IT department has implemented a Group Policy, which makes it that no matter what settings are in the Trusted Locations, the security warnings always come up each time a ACCDE is opened on the user's machine. It is annoying but it's done on purpose.

Perhaps her machine has something similar enabled or set on her laptop.

Just a thought...

Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:36 PM
  • Could this be a Windows Firewall setting message? Also, if your VBA code has a FollowHyperlink command somewhere or a reference to an external web-page, I've heard this can also cause this message to appear.
    Friday, May 25, 2018 3:06 PM
  • All good thoughts, Lawrence and DBguy. Thanks very much for the input.

Unfortunately, I do not think any of them apply to this case.  Everyone is running the same code, in the same domain, with the same permissions, and there are no references to any external web pages in the app.

This is really a thorny issue because I really do have a group of people who I at least think are identically situated in our network environment, and their installation of Office comes from an identical image that is laid down at the time they were issued their laptops.  Of course, the one problem case might have installed something that inadvertently made her machine behave differently, but that's really a needle in a rather large haystack. 

Friday, May 25, 2018 3:50 PM
  • Hi Rich,

One possible, yet drastic, solution is to have her turn in her equipment for re-image to make sure it conforms to the company's standards.

Just my 2 cents...

Friday, May 25, 2018 4:06 PM
  • Hi Rich,

Based on your description, it seems this issue is more related with the computer environment.

>> Tried this multiple times on the problem machine, and in multiple places on her local hard drive, and I get the same issue

Do you mean you copy your back-end to the problem machine, and he also hit this issue?

If you create a new access database on the problem machine, spilt it into FE and BE, then will you receive any security message? Copy the BE to the trusted location, will he receive the error?

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 28, 2018 7:03 AM