Sharepoint and Workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

In my company we are currently using a foundation version of Sharepoint and i want to use this tool to develop a workflow.

Are there members who are familiair with the development of worklfows within Sharepoint? What are your experiences (difficult to handle, easy drag and drop and so on???)?

What are pitfalls, costs and development time??
    Do you have tips and tricks which are help- and useful?

thnx in advance

Maarten

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:18 AM

Answers

• Hi for simple workflows you already have templates available, like eg. Approvals and Collect Feedbacks.   For many users they cover their requirements.

For customized workflows, SharePoint Designer is the tool of choice, and it seems to be even more the chosen one for workflows in sharePoint 2013. If you want  even more advanced features like loops , you need to use Visual Studio and code a Workflow project.

An experienced SharePoint Designer-user can pretty quickly create production -ready workflows, and you can also customize the forms with InfoPath (a feature which I believe will be discontinued in sp2013) . 

One helpful trick to quickly design workflows and at the same time open the doors for the business analysts and the executives to contribute,  is to make use of the integration with Visio 2010. You can quickly draw workflows in Visio using special shapes, then export them to SharePoint Designer for the configuration , and you're off.

Pitfalls: Find them hard to debug sometimes, and sometimes they tend to hang up and never end. Workflows involve human interaction and if a person doesn't care about his task list he can single-handedly stop the flow.

Here's a list of good links that will quickly get you up to spped with SharePoint Designer and workflows:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/hh850380#2010

Kind Regards

Bjoern
    http://spviking.com
    Twitter: Follow @bjoern_rapp

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:42 AM