none
ReportViewer vs SSRS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm new to this and right now I'm trying to understand why I would use ReportViewer instead of SSRS, and vice versa. 

As I understand it, ReportViewer comes free with Visual Studio 2005 (and above), and taking a data source and an .rdlc report template file, it can then generate/render a report for you - all this without requiring SQL Server license.

So then, as I understand it, SSRS works with similar concept of data source binding and associate .rdl file. 

What's the difference then between SSRS and ReportViewer?  When should I use one over the other?  What's the pros and cons of each?

Thanks,

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:30 PM

Answers

• ReportViewer is a client component that you can use in your .net application to display your report. It supports not only server report but also local report. For example, you have a Windows Form application, you prefer to use local reports since you just want to implement some simple reports with no need to buy the server product SSRS, in this case, you can use reportviewer to display your local reports. Of course it supports server report as well. Also reportviewer provides you APIs to implement some custom functions to best run your reports in your application.

For SSRS, it is a server product which provides more advanced features than local reports. It supports various data sources with different data providers. The clients do not need to host an application to access the reports. They can simply use IE to access the reports via report URLs. In other words, you do not need to develop an application to deliver reports to your end users. Also it provides some advanced features like report subscription with different delivery methods, scale-out deployment, integrated with Sharepoint etc.  

There is no conflict for ReportViewer coexisted with SSRS in your organization since the reportviewer control actually just provides a good programming interface for clients to integrate the local reports and server reports (stored in SSRS) into your application. The fact is that they are often working together. You can refer to this article:
    Integrating Reporting Services into your Application
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa964126(SQL.90).aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:38 AM