Ideas for Document Management System? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1104215994 posted

Hi,

I am interested in how to make a good architecture for a Document Management System. I would like to hear your suggestions. How should I design? Pros and cons?

Best Regards.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:37 AM

Answers

• User-629220960 posted

HI,

I would like to share you idea of creating document management system. i have made it for my firm in three tier architecture . its a small project having upload , download for specific users , and viewing it or modifying the same. saving only file names,uploadedby,department, uploadeddate and purpose. The files are saved in server .

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:07 AM

All replies

• User-629220960 posted

HI,

I would like to share you idea of creating document management system. i have made it for my firm in three tier architecture . its a small project having upload , download for specific users , and viewing it or modifying the same. saving only file names,uploadedby,department, uploadeddate and purpose. The files are saved in server .

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:07 AM
  • User-1104215994 posted

Thank you for your reply. I think mine gonna be more comprehensive, having some forms for the users to fill and e-signature for approvals etc.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:12 AM
  • User-488622176 posted

Although I have no questions on your ability to build a similar system, but why exactly should you bother? What are your requirements? Did you check if there is nothing available off-the-shelve that can serve your purpose? There is few business value in building something that is easily available (unless you have too much time Wink

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:35 AM
  • User-2132746437 posted

why build when there is SharePoint that can do this for you right out of the box?

I see no reason to invest a lot of time and money when there are applications out there that can do this for you.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:10 PM
  • User1816164667 posted

By Architecture if you are referring to the logical architecture of the application and you want a comprehensive system then it would be better to with a three or n Layer architecture I.e. separate your application in Presentation , Logical (additional service, manager layer )and Data layer. Presentation layer will serve as main user interface of the application to which the user can interact. Logical layer will include the application business logic. Data layer will do all the data access with the database system of the application.

Advantage of this will be reduced complexity and improved maintainability of your application. Also testing of the application will be very easy with this approach. But if you are referring to the physical architecture and you want your system to be web based, then follow the three tier architecture that will include the Client (Web Server), Application Server and the Server(Data Server). The client will act as the unit through which user of the application will interact with the application, the Application server will host the business logic of the application and Data Server will host the database of your application. The Main advantage of this approach will be the robust Security, Scalability and Efficiency of the system.

The cost and complexity could be main disadvantage with this approach.

Friday, July 12, 2013 7:48 AM
  • User-1067017023 posted

I am interested in how to make a good architecture for a Document Management System. I would like to hear your suggestions. How should I design? Pros and cons?

Try and evaluate tools like sharepoint or documentum first. If they don't fit your needs, go ahead and build  your document management system.

For architecture suggestions, let us know what kind of capabilities you are looking for in your system.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:47 AM
  • User-2142336986 posted

build SharePoint  box?

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:06 AM
  • User1206345458 posted

yes.you can use SharePoint  box

Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:50 AM