Which is best way to save data like Ado.net , Enterprise library etc. RRS feed

• Question

• User-949333769 posted

I have to create three tier Architecture application with asp.net which will run in Tab and IE browser.

So i need idea to create application.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 4:10 PM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

Which is best way to save data like Ado.net , Enterprise library etc

There isn't really any "best" way to save data and it will generally just depend on what your needs are. A SQL Database will be fine for most scenarios (either directly using ADO.NET calls or an ORM like Entity Framework). 

I have to create three tier Architecture application

The key thing to realize when using a 3-tiered or any N-tiered architecture is that you are using it to help make your application more flexible, scalable and seperate all of the major concerns and areas within your application (so that you can more easily scale and expand upon it). MVC is a perfectly acceptable platform to design and build an enterprise-level application, however it should be noted that there are far more concerns that just your MVC project if you need that level of scale (you'll need to consider your database design, possible use of Web Services and numerous other "tiers")

MVC's inherent architecture already closely mimics a 3-tier system as it uses the Model-View-Controller approach, each of which is responsible for a specific area of your application as explained below.

The 3-Tier Architecture Model

Three-tier architecture can often be referred to as N-tier architecture and funcitons specifically to help seperate all of the areas of concern within your application.

A 3-tier application typically consists of the following levels : 

• Data-Access - used for actually interacting with your database and accessing data.
    • Business Logic - used for adding in your specific business rules, processing and manipulating data and other calculations.
    • Presentation - used for presenting the actual data to the user.

Each of these areas will be completely seperate from one another within your application and may even be broken up into seperate Folders or Projects and can even be broken down into additional tiers depending on the level of complexity of your application. The layers will all be housed inside the same solution and will be deployed "as one", however this is just a means of organizing your application and seperating all of your concerns.

Within MVC, these of these tiers maps almost directly to one of the concepts within MVC. So within your application, you would handle all of your data-access within your Controller, apply all of your business logic within your models and finally pass the model to your Views which would be your presentation layer : 

• Data-Access - Controllers
    • Business Logic - Models
    • Presentation - Views

Integrating N-Tier or 3-Tier Architecture and Examples

You can find several different examples demonstrating N-Tier architecture from the sites below and although they apply to MVC, N-Tier architecture is commonly used and is completely agnostic to the technology you are using :

I'm sure if you search around on one of the many open-source sites such as github and CodePlex, you will be able to find many more examples, which should provide you with a few more detailed examples of what more real-world applications might look like.

Additional Articles

There is no "best" way to implement this and each implementation will vary slightly depending on your application, requirements and specificiations, however these are some very basic ways of structuring an application as a "3-Tier" application.

You can check out the following tutorials and walkthroughs which may be helpful as well : 

I have to create three tier Architecture application with asp.net which will run in Tab and IE browser.

Well, basically any web-based application that you built within ASP.NET will run in Internet Explorer and within an individual tab in the browser, so you don't really need to worry about that.

This is a problem that we all face, not knowing what to develop. I'm not sure what your ability level is like, but you could consider looking around online and finding ideas for "simple web applications" or "programming projects" like the following :

• A Quiz / Questionaire Application
    • A Very Basic Game (Tic-Tac-Toe)
    • A Calculator
    • A Task Management App / To-Do List

You could also consider looking around on open-source sites like github or CodePlex for ideas as well.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 4:27 PM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

Which is best way to save data like Ado.net , Enterprise library etc

There isn't really any "best" way to save data and it will generally just depend on what your needs are. A SQL Database will be fine for most scenarios (either directly using ADO.NET calls or an ORM like Entity Framework). 

I have to create three tier Architecture application

The key thing to realize when using a 3-tiered or any N-tiered architecture is that you are using it to help make your application more flexible, scalable and seperate all of the major concerns and areas within your application (so that you can more easily scale and expand upon it). MVC is a perfectly acceptable platform to design and build an enterprise-level application, however it should be noted that there are far more concerns that just your MVC project if you need that level of scale (you'll need to consider your database design, possible use of Web Services and numerous other "tiers")

MVC's inherent architecture already closely mimics a 3-tier system as it uses the Model-View-Controller approach, each of which is responsible for a specific area of your application as explained below.

The 3-Tier Architecture Model

Three-tier architecture can often be referred to as N-tier architecture and funcitons specifically to help seperate all of the areas of concern within your application.

A 3-tier application typically consists of the following levels : 

• Data-Access - used for actually interacting with your database and accessing data.
    • Business Logic - used for adding in your specific business rules, processing and manipulating data and other calculations.
    • Presentation - used for presenting the actual data to the user.

Each of these areas will be completely seperate from one another within your application and may even be broken up into seperate Folders or Projects and can even be broken down into additional tiers depending on the level of complexity of your application. The layers will all be housed inside the same solution and will be deployed "as one", however this is just a means of organizing your application and seperating all of your concerns.

Within MVC, these of these tiers maps almost directly to one of the concepts within MVC. So within your application, you would handle all of your data-access within your Controller, apply all of your business logic within your models and finally pass the model to your Views which would be your presentation layer : 

• Data-Access - Controllers
    • Business Logic - Models
    • Presentation - Views

Integrating N-Tier or 3-Tier Architecture and Examples

You can find several different examples demonstrating N-Tier architecture from the sites below and although they apply to MVC, N-Tier architecture is commonly used and is completely agnostic to the technology you are using :

I'm sure if you search around on one of the many open-source sites such as github and CodePlex, you will be able to find many more examples, which should provide you with a few more detailed examples of what more real-world applications might look like.

Additional Articles

There is no "best" way to implement this and each implementation will vary slightly depending on your application, requirements and specificiations, however these are some very basic ways of structuring an application as a "3-Tier" application.

You can check out the following tutorials and walkthroughs which may be helpful as well : 

Well, basically any web-based application that you built within ASP.NET will run in Internet Explorer and within an individual tab in the browser, so you don't really need to worry about that.

This is a problem that we all face, not knowing what to develop. I'm not sure what your ability level is like, but you could consider looking around online and finding ideas for "simple web applications" or "programming projects" like the following :

• A Quiz / Questionaire Application
    • A Very Basic Game (Tic-Tac-Toe)
    • A Calculator
    • A Task Management App / To-Do List

You could also consider looking around on open-source sites like github or CodePlex for ideas as well.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 4:27 PM
  • User-949333769 posted

Sounds good..

I just want to make web application responsive so it will also work in mobile. 

Friday, July 10, 2015 2:45 PM
  • User71929859 posted

Use some responsive framework like Bootstrap. It's basically apply to the presentation/UI layer. Making your website responsive or not doesn't affect to the business or data access layers.

Saturday, July 11, 2015 2:44 AM
  • User281315223 posted

This would be completely related to your client-side code (and really wouldn't have anything to do with the architectural makeup of your application). 

You may want to consider looking into Responsive Design, which can handle scaling your content based on the current resolution of your browser or device. (This is done primarily through CSS and occasional use of Javascript). It's a perfect solution if you want to actually design a single site that can be used for both desktop and mobile platforms.

It isn't really automatic and you will likely have to tinker with it a bit to get everything working and looking just as it should, but it is probably the best method of handling a situation like this (depending on the controls that you are using). There are Responsive Design frameworks and boilerplates that you can use to implement these into your site such as Twitter Bootstrap (and a varitety of others).

These could fairly easily be integrated into a Web Forms or MVC application and would basically be all that you would need to use : 

This would really eliminate having to distinguish between a mobile and traditional (desktop) CSS file for each of the pages within your website. The above articles are specific to integrating Bootstrap (one of the most popular Responsive Design frameworks out there) into your ASP.NET Applications.

Sunday, July 12, 2015 11:28 AM