none
MS-ASHTTP Exchange ActiveSync HTTP Protocol - allowable user names for authentication RRS feed

• Question

• It's been a while, guys.  Now I'm looking into Exchange ActiveSync interop.  It appears that at least some versions of Exchange ActiveSync do something 'special' (on the client or server side, I don't have traces to verify which, as SSL is involved on the server side to protect the HTTP Basic Auth and it will take a minor act of god to get that disabled even for a short while for testing) with user account names containing an underscore.

I see references regarding some clients that mention the underscore having a special meaning equivalent to the usual meaning of "@" in an email address.  (???!!!  If so, WHY?)  And I have not actually found a client (testing a couple versions of Android and iPad) that will correctly authenticate to the Exchange Server via EAS when the user accunt name contains an underscore as part of the account name.  (For example:  helen_o).

In at least some cases the code being used (iPad) is apparently licensed from MS, not simply an open source reverse engineering effort, so I'm concerned that there is an undocumented limitation in the protocol that makes it impossible to use EAS with user names containing certain special characters (including but possibly not limited to underscore).

Please look into this and let me know what's going on - whether there is in fact a limitation in the protocol, whether it's a client-side or server-side issue that causes the underscore not to be processed as an engineer might expect, which versions are affected, or whether EAS has nothing to do with it and multiple vendors just happened to have similar bugs in their implementations.

Regards.

Sunday, August 7, 2011 11:44 PM

Answers

All replies