Unable to perform Coded UI Test for AppX created by using UWP Javascript Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
      One of my project is developed by using WPF.Now we have added UWP java script project to the solution and converted that existing WPF project to UWP using that java script project. I did installed that appX in my machine and its working fine.Now problem is am unable to perform Coded UI test .I could not able to select app or any control using crosshair icon available in Coded UI test builder.
    Am selecting the Coded UI template which comes under universal windows store node in visual studio.
    Could you please help me here.
    Regards,
    S.Ohm Ganesh.
    Monday, October 16, 2017 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,
      One of my project is developed by using WPF.Now we have added UWP java script project to the solution and converted that existing WPF project to UWP using that java script project. I did installed that appX in my machine and its working fine.Now problem is am unable to perform Coded UI test .I could not able to select app or any control using crosshair icon available in Coded UI test builder.
    Am selecting the Coded UI template which comes under universal windows store node in visual studio.
    Could you please help me here.
    Regards,
    S.Ohm Ganesh.
    Monday, October 16, 2017 8:19 PM
  • Hi S.Ohm Ganesh,

Which Visual Studio did you use? VS2015 or VS2017?

>>Am selecting the Coded UI template which comes under universal windows store node in visual studio.

Did you use Coded UI Test Project (Universal Windows) project template?

>> I could not able to select app or any control using crosshair icon available in Coded UI test builder

I need to confirm with you, are you unable to use the coded UI test builder, or unable use the recorder button in coded UI test builder?

As far as I know, the recorder button in coded UI test builder is not available in Coded UI Test Project (Universal Windows) project. We only use coded UI test builder to identify the control, add the button control to the UI control map, then writing code manually.

For more information, please refer to this article:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn747198.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If you can’t use the coded UI test builder, did you get any error message? Please describe the situation that cannot be used, or provide screenshots, that would better help us to resolve your problem.

Regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Tuesday, October 17, 2017 3:50 AM
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 3:50 AM
  • Hi Fletcher,

Thanks for your reply. Here is my response,

>> Which Visual Studio did you use? VS2015 or VS2017?

Am using VS2015 Enterprise Edition.

>>Did you use Coded UI Test Project (Universal Windows) project template?

Yes.Correct.

>>I need to confirm with you, are you unable to use the coded UI test builder, or unable use the recorder button in coded UI test builder?

1. If app developed by using WPF - Here I can able to perform Code UI testing using Code UI test project which comes under test Node. Recording as well as other options everything works fine form me.

2. If app developed by using UWP - Here also I can able to perform Coded UI Test using  Coded UI Test Project (Universal Windows) project template. Recording option is not available here but I can able to find controls using Cross Hair option and I performed hand coding.Everything works fine.

3. If app developed by using WPF and converted to UWP either by using Centennial bridge or UWP JavaScript Project.

- In this case I cant able to perform Code UI testing by using Coded UI Test Project (Universal Windows) template or by using Code UI project which comes under Test node.

Point No 3 is my problem. Hope you understand the issue. Could you please provide some solution on this.

Let me you know if you still need any additional details.

Regards,

S.Ohm Ganesh.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 3:14 PM
  • Hi S.Ohm Ganesh,

Thanks for your reply.

According your description of point No3.However, coded UI only support XAML based UWP platform (see illustration), I don’t think it support Centennial bridge and UWP JavaScript Project.

More details about supported configurations and platforms for coded UI tests and action recodings, please refer to following link:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd380742.aspx

In addition, coded UI test project was not found under the JavaScript node in Visual Studio 2015. It only exists under Visual Basic and Visual C# node.

Regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:59 AM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:59 AM
  • Hi Fletcher,

Thanks for you reply but unfortunately you didn't understand my problem clearly. Could you please try below two steps,

1. Create simple WPF project two just two controls.

2. Convert that WPF project to UWP by using below link,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-packaging-dot-net.

We get one appX file once we completed all the steps provided in above link, Install the appX then try to perform Coded UI Test.

Regards,

S.Ohm Ganesh.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:53 PM
  • Hi S.Ohm Ganesh,

I got some issue when tried to repro it in my side.

As I don't have a developer account, i selected No, but i did not find the AppX under my project:

I wonder if you could share the project, we could test it.

If neither coded ui for desktop application or coded ui for uwp could work, it's probably the compatibility issue between coded ui testing and Desktop bridge.

Best regard,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:23 AM
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 5:23 AM