none
Where is my menu? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I have lost the menu on my excel. All I see is the cells and the collumn and row names and the window itself. I am sure there is a very simple explanation or some shortcut to let it reappear but I am out of my depth here -_-. Can anyone help? Thanks!
    Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:44 AM

Answers

• So my tech brother helped me out. It was a corrupted toolbar customization file. 

solution:

Start, Run,
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /Safe

The safe switch ensures Excel starts without opening any addins or using your menu customisations. If this works, chances are that your toolbar customisation file is corrupt. Locate all files with extension .xlb and rename the extension(s) to something like .old
    Now try and start Excel again.

In Windows 7, the xlb file is found by entering this into Explorer's address bar:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Excel

• Marked as answer by Anne Yogi Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:11 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:11 AM

All replies

• You probably hide your ribbon click on the button near the minimize icon in the upper right

Guy Zommer

Thursday, January 31, 2019 9:03 AM
  • From VBA Editor:

Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro "SHOW.TOOLBAR(""Ribbon"",true)"

Guy Zommer

Thursday, January 31, 2019 9:06 AM
  • In advance, sorry if I misunderstand your situation.

I guess it is simply because Ribbon menu is UnPinned.  If this is correct, please do:
    (1) click [Home]
    (2) click top right Pin in Ribbon menu 

If you cannot see Menu ([File] [Home]...), please restore Excel.

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- https://ssl01.rocketnet.jp/hokusosha.com/default.html

Thursday, January 31, 2019 9:14 AM
  • Hi! Thanks for the fast answers. I cannot see any button near minimize icon, also no home, file, or any of those buttons.

I am not at home in VBA but I found out to open it is alt f11 and then type command in immediate window, press enter, also does not work with the command you sent (thanks anyways!) Or do I need to save or anything else after enter? 

I am working in a document that uses macros, but since i opened it all other excel docs also have no menus..

Thursday, January 31, 2019 9:26 AM
  • So my tech brother helped me out. It was a corrupted toolbar customization file. 

solution:

Start, Run,
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /Safe

The safe switch ensures Excel starts without opening any addins or using your menu customisations. If this works, chances are that your toolbar customisation file is corrupt. Locate all files with extension .xlb and rename the extension(s) to something like .old
    Now try and start Excel again.

In Windows 7, the xlb file is found by entering this into Explorer's address bar:

%AppData%\Microsoft\Excel

• Marked as answer by Anne Yogi Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:11 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:11 AM