beginners programming in VC++ RRS feed

• Question

• hi all,

Good day. I am very new to Visual Studio VC++. i have good working knowledge in C & also having average  knowledge in C++. Now i entered into Visual Studio 2005 VC++. And i referring the "IVOR HORTON's beginning visual c++ 2005".  can you please suggest me to start programming with VC++ and interfacing with hardware like serial port  USB communication with printer, communication with board.. 

Any suggestions or ideas would be extremely helpful!

Thanks & Regards

Sasi

• Edited by kvg sasi Monday, January 12, 2015 10:58 AM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 10:55 AM

Answers

• Thanks david. Visual C++ is a tool and in that C++ is used to program. Am i correct.   

Yes. essentially.

Visual C++ is an application

C++ is a programming language

Many people believe (or have been led to believe) that Visual C++ is "Microsoft C++" by which they really mean C++/CLI, and that Visual C++ does not support standard C++. This is not the case: Visual C++ contains compilers for C, standard C++ and C++/CLI. These are three different (though related) programming languages.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

• Proposed as answer by Pintu Shukla Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shu 2017 Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:45 AM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 2:19 PM

All replies

• hi all,

Good day. I am very new to Visual Studio VC++. i have good working knowledge in C & also having average  knowledge in C++. Now i entered into Visual Studio 2005 VC++. And i referring the "IVOR HORTON's beginning visual c++ 2005".  can you please suggest me to start programming with VC++ and interfacing with hardware like serial port  USB communication with printer, communication with board.. 

Any suggestions or ideas would be extremely helpful!

Thanks & Regards

Sasi

Visual C++ is a product, not a language. It contains compilers for three languages: C, C++ and C++/CLI. Make sure you understand the difference between the last two, and which one you want to use. If you want to use C++/CLI you will need to use C# documentation for most tasks.

To learn about serial port programming just do a web search for one of

Serial port programming in C

Serial port programming in C++

Serial port programming in C#

• Marked as answer by kvg sasi Tuesday, January 20, 2015 4:55 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by kvg sasi Tuesday, January 20, 2015 4:56 AM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 11:35 AM
  • Thanks david. Visual C++ is a tool and in that C++ is used to program. Am i correct.   
    Monday, January 12, 2015 11:43 AM

Yes. essentially.

Visual C++ is an application

C++ is a programming language

Many people believe (or have been led to believe) that Visual C++ is "Microsoft C++" by which they really mean C++/CLI, and that Visual C++ does not support standard C++. This is not the case: Visual C++ contains compilers for C, standard C++ and C++/CLI. These are three different (though related) programming languages.

• Proposed as answer by Pintu Shukla Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shu 2017 Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:45 AM
    Monday, January 12, 2015 2:19 PM
  • Look inside MSDN for serial communication as from your description it looks like you are looking something in C++. I am not sure whether you need GUI inside your app or not.But you can search on google as well for serial port communication in C++ and you will find plenty example there.

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

Monday, January 12, 2015 3:13 PM
  • oh okay i got it now exactly what is vc++. Thanks david. :)
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:28 AM
  • Thank you shukla .
    • Edited by kvg sasi Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:29 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:29 AM
  • Following links may help you understand about serial programming with c++:

Serial Communications - MSDN article

Creating a Serial communication on Win32

Serial library for C++

Thanks & Regards

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 7:36 AM
  • yes suman. now i am referring the second link. Thank you suman.  Any other links for "started programming in Visual C++ ".  can you please give me a suggestion for learn and quick start of programming in visual c++. thank you so much suman.
    • Edited by kvg sasi Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:17 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:07 AM
  • Check the following links, also you can try to understand how sample code works and try to modify / create new code yourself:

C++ Language Reference - MSDN

Visual C++ Samples

Visual Studio samples

VC++ Tutorials / UI Samples

Unlimited VC++ code samples :-)

Thanks & Regards

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 11:02 AM
  • Okay suman. thank you so much.  Happy pongal :)
    Tuesday, January 13, 2015 11:22 AM