none
EntityFramework 4.1 with Windows XP SP3? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I unfortunately had installed the EF 4.1 Update to my XP SP3 machine which of course doesn't work. It does list the OS's that it works with and XP isn't there but there should be a large note at the top of the page saying it doesn't work with XP (IMHO). I'll bet lots of folks who had installed EF4.1 saw the Update come out and installed it just like me.

I finally got everything removed from my machine and started over. VS2010 Ultimate, then used the Install Everything button from the asp.net website. It doesn't install EF 4.1. So -= I went out and downloaded EF4.1 (NOT Update). With that installed I opened VS2010 and created a new MVC3 project. I see that the EF dll in the references is still 4.0 so I deleted it and referenced the one in the ADO.NET Entity Framework directory which is 4.1.something. I would think that I could create entities from the DB now - but I get that "Type constructor threw an exception". I noticed that the system.data.entity ref obj is still 4.0.30319. Is this right? I don't have a menu selection to select the db context generator. I thought once I installed EF4.1 on my machine using the installer that when I created a new MVC project that it would also use the 4.1 entityframework. Maybe I'm missing something?

So - my question is - what kind of EF 4.1 support is there for XP OS? It is terribly confusing when EF4.1 for Win7 OS works differently than with XP. Shouldn't I be able to use the db context on XP? Is there someplace that documents exactly what's available for EF4.1 with XP?

thanks in advance!

Bill44077

William Campbell

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Bill44077,

Yeah, it's quite strange.  If the assembly refers to your project folder path, the EF4.1 assembly may not be installed correctly in GAC.  The root cause can be complicated, however, I am not very senior in .NET installation topics.  I would recommend you do a full uninstall and reinstall of VS2010 in your Windows XP SP3 system and install EF 4.1 Update then.   Is it feasible for you? 

Have a nice weekend!

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Bill44077 Monday, October 3, 2011 3:07 PM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 1:45 AM

All replies

• Hi.

Well - this is interesting. On the webpage for the EF 4.1 Update 1 it says this:

System requirements

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista

In the 

ADO.NET Entity Framework 4.1 – Update 1 - Release Notes

it says this:

Supported Operating Systems

·         Windows XP

·         Windows Server 2003

·         Windows Server 2008

·         Windows Vista

·         Windows 7

·         Windows Server 2008 R2

Could someone please clarify this? Should this work on XP or not?

thanks!

William Campbell
    Friday, September 23, 2011 11:05 AM
  • Hi William,

Welcome!

We will do some more pending research  about your problem and come back as soon as possible, Thanks for understanding.
    Have a nice day.

Alan Chen[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, September 26, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Hi William,

I suspect the issue is related to ASP.NET MVC components, and I found a similar issue here, http://forums.asp.net/t/1672730.aspx/1/10?EntityFramework+dll+Could+not+be+loaded.

EF4.1 should work fine on Windows XP SP3 system with VS2010 and .NET 4.0 RTM installed.

Could you please install the EF4.1 in Windows XP SP3 again and let me know if you encounter any issue, I will do the best to help you.

Good day!

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]
    Monday, September 26, 2011 10:24 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply!

When I had installed EF 4.1 Update 1 when I tried to use EF with DB First I got the error "Constructor threw and exception" and did not correctly create the ef. When I googled for this error several folks said that the web page for EF 4.1 Update said that it did not support Windows XP. Are you saying this should work correctly on Windows XP?

thanks!

Bill44077

William Campbell

Quick Update - I installed the EF 4.2 Beta (using Nuget) and when I try to create the entity models from the SQL DB I get the "Type constructor threw and exception". This is the same error that I got when I installed the EF 4.1 Update 1.

I just went back and created a new MVC3 project and tried to add the ADO.NET Entity Model from the SQL DB and it gave me the same error ( "Type constructor threw and exception") using the EF 4.1 dll. I'm not sure what's going on here.

thanks!

Bill44077

• Edited by Bill44077 Monday, September 26, 2011 4:55 PM Update
    Monday, September 26, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Hi Bill44077,

I created some testing projects with EF4.1 and DB first and everything is working fine now.  Could you please give more detailed repro steps of the problem?   I will do more research of the problem. 

BTW, I will change this thread to "Question" type since it's not a general discussion.

Good day!

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:40 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks again! I am following this walkthrough for DB First:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/gg685489

When I am following through the Creating the Model for the Blogging Application and I get through step 10. When I click Finish I get the error dialog "Type constructor threw an exception".  I can see in the output window the output from the Build and it says "The model was generated with warnings or errors. Please see the Error List for more details. These issues must be fixed before running your application". This takes me back to the Add New Item - MvcApp with the ADO.NET Entity Data Model selected. If I Cancel out of that dialog I can see the Output screen:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The model was generated with warnings or errors.

Please see the Error List for more details. These issues must be fixed before running your application.

Loading metadata from the database took 00:00:12.5225745.

Generating the model took 00:00:07.9503953.

Added the connection string to the Web.Config file.

Successfully registered the assembly 'System.Data.Entity, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' in the Web.Config file.

Writing the .edmx file took 00:00:00.0016024.

Generated model file: Model1.edmx.

Loading metadata from the database took 00:00:05.1364718.

Generating the model took 00:00:04.8924620.

Successfully registered the assembly 'System.Data.Entity, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' in the Web.Config file.

Writing the .edmx file took 00:00:00.0012942.

Loading metadata from the database took 00:00:11.2285276.

Generating the model took 00:00:10.0874720.

Writing the .edmx file took 00:00:00.0029492.

Loading metadata from the database took 00:00:10.8916244.

Generating the model took 00:00:05.9512111.

Writing the .edmx file took 00:00:00.0030573.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I select the Error List tab, it is empty - no errors, no warnings.
    I can Build the app. no Errors.
    Please let me know what else I can check. I couldn't find any error logs associated with the error.
    thanks!
    Bill44077

William Campbell
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Hi Bill44077,

I followed the tutorial and the ASP.NET MVC 3 web application is running successfully at my side (Windows XP SP3 with VS2010 installed).  I suspect EF 4.1 is not installed correctly in your system, or maybe it's the problem of database engine.  Is SQL Server 2008 Express installed correctly in your system?   Please make sure you can open the database file (.mdf) in your server explorer by double clicking the file.  Also, you can try to uninstall all the pre-release versions of EF 4.1 and reinstall EF 4.1 RTM to make sure it is installed correctly,

Besides, I don't think you need to remove the EF 4.0 assemblies from your project.  EF 4.1 just adds a new assembly named EntityFramework.dll, and it also depends on the 4.0 assemblies to work.  So I would recommend you just follow the tutorial to create the web app again. 

If the problem still occurs, could you please let me know whether the entity classes have been created in your project when the "Type constructor threw an exception" error is thrown?

Good day!

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Hi Bill44077,

I was having exactly the same problem and it was extremely frustrating, as I also was trying to work through another tutorial- I am running XP SP3, with Visual Studio 2010 ultimate edition.

Basically the solution I found was to install the ADO.NET Entity Framework 4.1 - Update 1. It will install a dll named 'EntityFramework.dll' to a specified folder, say C:\Program Files\Microsoft ADO.NET Entity Framework 4.1\Binaries. You just need to reference this dll in your project and then add  the following statement: using System.Data.Entity;  

The DbSet class should then be available.

Best of luck

Olu

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hi Olu/Michael,

Thanks for your thoughts on this! I noticed that the version of my entityframework.dll in my project references is the same as the one under the Entity Framework 4.1\Binaries (4.1.0.0). I tried pointing my reference to this dll with the same error as below.

Interestingly enough (as if I need more interesting of any kind!) I uninstalled EF and reinstalled EF 4.1 Update 1. Now, when I try to create my ADO.NET Entity Model it gives me the error The system cannot find the file specified.File name: 'System.Data.Entity, Version=4.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'

Why I'm not getting the "Type constructor threw an exception" I don't know. I'm sure something is installed wrong but don't have a clue what to look for next. I checked the GAC and there is nothing in there that has a version of 4.2.x.x. My windows 7 machine works fine and it has the same version of System.Data.Entity as my XP Pro machine (version 4.0.0.0, runtime versions 4.0.30319).

Any other ideas would be greatly welcomed!

thanks,

Bill44077

William Campbell
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:28 PM
  • Hi Bill44077,

Thanks for the update.  I would recommend you remove EF 4.2 beta first and repair the installation of EF 4.1.  EF 4.1 assembly version should be 4.1.10331.0.

Besides, as my previous post suggested, is the entity classes and context classes be created or the .edmx file be created when the "Type constructor threw an exception" error is shown?   If it is convenient for you, could you please share us with some screenshot of the issue for further investigation?

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]

Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:50 AM
  • Hi Michael,

The EF 4.2 Beta was installed using Nuget so I thought that should only be 'project' specific. But, as you suggested, I removed it using the PM Console. I uninstalled EF 4.1 and while in the Add|Remove programs I noticed that there were 2 previous June CTP things remaining: DataServices and SQL Server Data Tools. I removed them. After that I installed the EF 4.1 Update 1. Now when I create a new project and try to Add a New Item of ADO.NET Entity Framework it doesn't exist in the menu. I can see that the MS ADO.NET EntityFramework is installed under Program Files. Is there any way to recover from this state? Or do I have to repave my entire machine and begin again?

So, now I can't even get to the point of the Type constructor error to show you what entities had been created. I do believe that all of the entities were created.

thanks,

Bill44077

William Campbell
    • Edited by Bill44077 Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:06 PM typo
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Hi,

This is so strange - the EntityFramework in the References is Version 4.1.0.0 and RuntimeVersion of v4.0.30319 just like before. The path is c:\documents and settings\600124238\my documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\MvcApplication37\packages\EntityFramework.4.1.10331.0\lib\EntityFramework.dll. Isn't that curious?

Sure enough, the EntityFramework.dll that is in the full path

C:\Documents and Settings\600124238\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\MvcApplication37\packages\EntityFramework.4.1.10331.0\lib is version 4.1.10331.0.

Don't know what this all means.

How do I get my VS2010 menu items for ADO.NET EntityFramework back?

thanks,

Bill44077

William Campbell
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Hi Bill44077,

Yeah, it's quite strange.  If the assembly refers to your project folder path, the EF4.1 assembly may not be installed correctly in GAC.  The root cause can be complicated, however, I am not very senior in .NET installation topics.  I would recommend you do a full uninstall and reinstall of VS2010 in your Windows XP SP3 system and install EF 4.1 Update then.   Is it feasible for you? 

Have a nice weekend!

Thanks

Michael Sun [MSFT]
    • Marked as answer by Bill44077 Monday, October 3, 2011 3:07 PM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 1:45 AM
  • Hi Michael,

I uninstalled VS2010/SP!/EF etc and reinstalled from scratch and now everything is working correctly. That was very painful but am so glad that it solved the problem. Now let's see... what was I doing?  :)

thanks much!

Bill44077

William Campbell
    Monday, October 3, 2011 3:09 PM
  • It's great to hear that! :)

Have a nice day!

Michael Sun [MSFT]
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:51 AM