Changing the configuration database location RRS feed

• Question

• We are using an SQL cluster for SharePoint, but currently the configuration database shows as follows;

Is their any way to change this value to reflect the SQL listener instead? This is affecting backup's using DPM. Ideally without affecting current websites and apps.

Monday, April 15, 2013 1:18 PM

Answers

• To change the Configuration database to point to the AG Listener, you would need to use a SQL Alias of ats-p-sqln1\sql2 pointing to the FQDN of the listener.  Use cliconfg to do this.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by GadgetGirlJen Monday, April 15, 2013 6:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andrew Busby Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:54 AM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 2:52 PM
  • After you build the farm, you cannot change where the Configuration database points to.  So if you want to move it, you need to configure an alias for your existing location pointing to the new location.  And you understand the alias perfectly :)

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by ThatGuyRyan Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:27 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:22 PM

All replies

• I don't know what you mean by "listener"?  

Hope This Helps!

Monday, April 15, 2013 1:44 PM
  • To change the Configuration database to point to the AG Listener, you would need to use a SQL Alias of ats-p-sqln1\sql2 pointing to the FQDN of the listener.  Use cliconfg to do this.

-----------------------

• Proposed as answer by GadgetGirlJen Monday, April 15, 2013 6:21 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Trevor is correct.  There are both 32 and 64 bit 'listeners'.  See http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/06/01/new-dpm-kb-article-fix-unable-to-protect-a-sharepoint-farm-with-system-center-data-protection-manager-2010.aspx and the KB article referenced for more information.
    Monday, April 15, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Thanks for the replies,

This seems an odd way to do it, wouldn't it be just be fine if I could configure it to sql_cluster\sql2 ? I'm not sure I understand the logic behind defining an alias rather than changing the SharePoint configuration to point at the listener.

If I understand correctly setting a value in cliconfg.exe will just redirect requests from ats-p-sqln1\sql2 to the listener address ( sql_cluster\sql2 ) but SharePoint will still believe the configuration resides at ats-p-sqln1\sql2.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:02 AM
  • After you build the farm, you cannot change where the Configuration database points to.  So if you want to move it, you need to configure an alias for your existing location pointing to the new location.  And you understand the alias perfectly :)

-----------------------

• Proposed as answer by ThatGuyRyan Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:27 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:22 PM