none
An expression in a page header or footer can refer to only one report item. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to give an expression to my textbox in the header of my report page.

But when I do an if statement like:

=IIf(ReportItems!PageNumberTotalTextBox.Value = "", "1", ReportItems!PageNumberTotalTextBox.Value)

it gives me the following error:

the Value expression for the textbox ‘textbox1’ refers to more than one report item. An expression in a page header or footer can refer to only one report item.

Also, when I try to merge/combine different fields on my header (like the code below) it gives me the same error, that I can't use more then 1 reportitem.

=ReportItems!PageTextBox.Value & " of " & ReportItems!PageNumberTotalTextBox.Value

How can I bypass this? I find it rather strange that I can only use a reportitems once in the header, and multiple times in the body.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Gert

Friday, January 6, 2012 1:46 PM

All replies

• ="Page " & Globals!PageNumber & "of" & Globals.TotalPages

Friday, January 6, 2012 1:51 PM
  • Hello Sygrien,

In those textboxes are other/special values then PageNumber & TotalPages, so I can't use that expresion.

I just need to combine 2 textbox fields in the header or must be able to do an iif statement where I use 2 times a header textbox.

Monday, January 9, 2012 9:41 AM
  • Hi,

Please follow below steps:

1. Take one text box in report header (which you already have)
    2. In expression write below
    3. =ReportItems!PageTextBox.Value
    4. Click in textbox (edit mode)  -> Right Click -> Add Place holder
    5. In place holder write below expression:
    6. = " of " & ReportItems!PageNumberTotalTextBox.Value

Regards,

Asim Bagwan

Kindly mark the replies as Answers if they help!

Monday, January 9, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Hello,

Sadly enoug I can't find the 'Place Holder' option in the right click on my textbox, or in the properties of this textbox.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your answer,

Gert

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

First you have to click on textbox in edit mode i.e. cursor will blink inside textbox then right click.

If you still do not see place holder then try below:

Take one more textbox (say textbox10) in body (Visible = False) and write expression there

=ReportItems!PageTextBox.Value & " of " & ReportItems!PageNumberTotalTextBox.Value

and then refer this textbox10  in header.

Regards,

Asim Bagwan

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Hello Asim,

Thanks for your help so far.

Sadly enough, I can't see the place holder, even when I'm inside my textfield.

And when I put a textbox in the body, that combines 2 header textboxes, I get the following error:

Error    1    The Value expression for the textbox ‘textbox1’ refers to the report item ‘PageTextBox’.  Report item expressions can only refer to other report items within the same grouping scope or a containing grouping scope.  

Error    2    The Value expression for the textbox ‘textbox1’ refers to the report item ‘PageNumberTotalTextBox’.  Report item expressions can only refer to other report items within the same grouping scope or a containing grouping scope.   
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:51 AM
  • Hi,

Are the PageNumberTotalTextBox text box and PageTextBox textbox in the body section? or they are placed in header / footer?

Try to put suggested new textbox in same area where these two textboxes placed.

Regards,

Asim Bagwan

• Edited by Asim Bagwan Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:26 AM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:25 AM
  • Hello Asim,

They are both in the header, and they must remain in the header, to get a perfect outcome.

But if I combine those 2 textboxes I get the same original message:

The Value expression for the textbox ‘textbox1’ refers to more than one report item.  An expression in a page header or footer can refer to only one report item.  

Where the expression is:

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Hi,

How to handle following condition if it is necessary in page footer-

=IIf(ReportItems!xTextBox.Value = "", "0", ReportItems!xTextBox.Value)

Regards,

Samir
    Friday, August 17, 2012 10:11 AM