Proximity API and NFC (session #270)

Question

• Hi,

Thanks for the excellent Build sessions on NFC and the Proximity API - even though the BitBox app wasnt playing by the rules! 

Im eager to get started with the Proximity API - specifically I want to read and write to the NFC Tags which were handed out. 

Where do I get started ? :-) Ive tried looking in the "Windows 8 Developer Preview Metro app Samples.zip" but couldnt find anything there to do with Proximity API or NFC.

Is there any other samples someplace, or some other "quick start" documentation?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Simon Kavanagh

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:54 AM

Answers

• So here's the latest:

In the Windows Developer Preview you can only subscribe to receive messages from a tag. For example, you’d subscribe to “WindowsUri” to read from the Tags on the back of the business cards we handed out at //build/. There is currently no support for publishing a message that ends up writing to a tag.

Windows listens for URI's and will launch the default browser when a URL is received (with user acceptance). That is the behavior you were seeing at //build/ with the business cards we handed out.

If you would like to receive the URI in your application you would use ProximityDevice.SubscribeForMessage. This will not suppress the Windows notification or Windows default handling the URI if is accepted by the user.

The string to use when calling SubscribeForMessage is “WindowsUri" (case sensitive)

SubscribeForMessage(“WindowsUri”, receivedCallback);

BTW: The Proximity team has been busy updating their sample if you downloaded it early on:
    http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Proximity-Sample-88129731

Thanks,
    -David

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:26 PM

All replies

• Update: I see there is a sample about two devices tapping to share info, but what about reading and writing to NFC Tags ? Is it the same principle ? Is there anything else I can look at to learn how this is achieved ?

Regards,

Simon

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Thanks for your intrest! I wanted to let you know I am looking into this with the Proximity product team at this time to get you the most current status. We will respond soon with an update.

Thanks,

David Lamb

Friday, September 23, 2011 2:24 AM
  • Is there any update?

I'm also very much interested in being able to read RFID tags.

Friday, September 30, 2011 5:19 AM
  • If you have any news, please let us know! I bought an NFC SDK, just to realize there are no samples explaining how to read from NFC Tag! (I know, I should have checked before, but was so excited to try!)

There was a demonstration with a NFC enabled business card that launch IE. Is there a way to have that sample?

Regards

Olivier Matis

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Still no updates then ? I would really like to know how to read and write from NFC Tags.

Regards,

Simon

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:24 PM
  • So here's the latest:

In the Windows Developer Preview you can only subscribe to receive messages from a tag. For example, you’d subscribe to “WindowsUri” to read from the Tags on the back of the business cards we handed out at //build/. There is currently no support for publishing a message that ends up writing to a tag.

Windows listens for URI's and will launch the default browser when a URL is received (with user acceptance). That is the behavior you were seeing at //build/ with the business cards we handed out.

If you would like to receive the URI in your application you would use ProximityDevice.SubscribeForMessage. This will not suppress the Windows notification or Windows default handling the URI if is accepted by the user.

The string to use when calling SubscribeForMessage is “WindowsUri" (case sensitive)

SubscribeForMessage(“WindowsUri”, receivedCallback);

BTW: The Proximity team has been busy updating their sample if you downloaded it early on:
    http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Proximity-Sample-88129731

Thanks,
    -David

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:26 PM
  • Thanks David.

Good summary of the capabilities as they are now in the Developer Preview. This is an excellent start. I will start experimenting now based on this.

Of course I have to ask is there any plans for when the "publishing message to cards" functionality would be available ? :-)

Regards,

Simon

Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:05 AM
  • Simon, I would have been disappointed if you hadn't asked ;-)

I would not expect to see changes in any of the capabilities or features of Windows 8 outside of an full OS beta milestone release. I would recommend using the Feedback tool to request any feature you feel is missing in the Windows Developer Preview. Please don’t assume, “They would surely never forget to add feature X”.

Look under "Windows Kits\Software Development Kit\API missing" and provide the scenario  where the lack of the specific feature is preventing you from making progress.

Thanks,

-David

Saturday, October 22, 2011 12:47 AM
  • Proximity Driver for ACR122T card reader?

Hi, 

I'm developing for Windows 8, and i have an ACR122T NFC Card Reader.

windows detects it's regular driver, but it doesn't see it as a proximity Device.

Is there a Driver for that? this is one of the most common NFC readers, and it doesn't work?

Thanks, 

Aviad Sachs

zaxy78@gmail.com

Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:57 AM