App works fine in development machines but fails on startup for Certification

Question

• App works fine in development machines but fails on startup for Certification. It fails even if I remove all code which reads or writes files just in case there is a permission required.

Have tested this on 4 different machines including 32 bit, 64 bit OS's, and ARM and have never experienced this crash on startup.

Have a few crash dump files from certification but they do not show any light on what crashed.  Loaded the crash dump files and it looks for files that do not exist in my project.

Here is a link to a crash dump file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qtwx97o3rq93iy/WER8BFD.tmp.dmp?dl=0

From the crash dump I can find Unhandled exception at 0x76DCB152 (combase.dll) in WER8BFD.tmp.dmp: 0xC000027B but this does not lead to my code.

I believe it is in the environment for certification.  This could be something not unique to the testers as I have had one person give me feedback that the app did not start once.  I have put in the notes for certification testers that I have not experienced this crash on any of my test machines. 

One of the tests I did was to remove all my startup code that could crash such as file IO.  My app run fine but it still failed certification.

Out of about 8 certification failures so far the only feedback I get is a pdf of the splash screen or a crash dump. 

It would be great if I could download a VM of their test machine so that I can replicate their test environment, or remote access a testing machine and remote deploy and debug my app directly from my ide.

How do I connect to the certification team to get further help on this. 

Friday, October 17, 2014 12:52 AM

All replies

• Firstly, you should click on 'All support options' at the bottom of this page to get personalised help for your specific issue.

I have had similar problems before, and it's possible some of my advice *might* help.

I've seen this auto-crashing behaviour whenever accessing something that is not going to be there in a 'fresh' install of an app, such as user settings that are not yet created (and file access, which you have already looked into).

I'd recommend testing a fresh install of the app under a separate account (to simulate a new user who has not run the app before). This has helped me with a similar issue. I think my problem was trying to read user settings that were null (because the app hadn't created them yet).

If you're targeting Windows 8 but building on Windows 8.1 you may have a situation where the app runs fine on 8.1 (i.e. the dev machine) but crashes on 8 (e.g. if certification is being done on a Windows 8 machine). I had that issue with an app, but can't remember the eventual cause. Again, just test on a different machine. I think in my case it was something to do with a web control.

I'm a self-taught noob amateur. Please take this into account when responding to my posts or when taking advice from me.

Friday, October 17, 2014 3:23 AM
  • I have tested several times on a new install and I have also removed all code that could crash such as file IO and settings. I have tested on new VMs and ARM processor based systems too. And never crash on start up.

I do not have a web control but perhaps there is something in a control which is not configured or is expecting a setting which is causing a crash.  I will have to use the process of elimination to try and narrow down the issue.

Is there any way that I can have a conversation with the certification team to figure out more information about how they test so that I can reproduce the problem they experience?

Sunday, October 19, 2014 9:10 PM
  • Is all of "your" code surrounded by try/catch (I.e. in each function)?  That will trop a lot of problems that originate in your code so that they don't crash and instead are caught and handled (or ignored if appropriate).

-Rob

-Rob

Sunday, October 19, 2014 9:55 PM
  • I have removed almost all code and all views except the main start up view.  The remaining code does not make any external calls such as IO or settings.
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:36 AM
  • Also I have regularly done the certification tests and it always passed.  Here is a link to the results.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q151laqsqx7e317/ValidationResult.htm?dl=0

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:40 AM
  • Friday, October 24, 2014 6:08 PM