none
Word 2007: TOC with numbers on left RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

Is it possible to set up a TOC with numbers on the left, ie

2-1  Part1
    2-3  Part2

It seems that its not possible which I find surprising. My alternative approach is to create two TOC side by side, the left one just numbers, the right one just text. This is also causing me issues, as while I can get the 'Right hand' TOC to hide the numbers, I can't get the 'Left hand' to hide the text (hope this makes sense)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Just to add some more info, I'm creating the TC with field codes and then updating the TOC in normal way 'update entire table'

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:18 AM

Answers

• I'm several years out of date on TOCs and TCs but if your numbers are PAGE numbers, have you tried changing your TC fields from

{ TC "the text you want" }

to the nested field

{ TC "{ PAGE }<tab>the text you want" }

? (Insert the { P AGE } using ctrl-F9 to insert the { } and type PAGE inside.

If you update your TOC by doing a Select All then F9, you would need to do that twice in order to ensure that the TC entries are updated before the TOC.

If you are not using { PAGE } to generate these numbers, I guess you would only be able to get this to work if you can generate the correct numbers using field codes, in which case you'd have to work out what to put instead of { PAGE }

Peter Jamieson
    • Marked as answer by SouthendRonnie Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:32 AM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:03 AM

All replies

• I'm several years out of date on TOCs and TCs but if your numbers are PAGE numbers, have you tried changing your TC fields from

{ TC "the text you want" }

to the nested field

{ TC "{ PAGE }<tab>the text you want" }

? (Insert the { P AGE } using ctrl-F9 to insert the { } and type PAGE inside.

If you update your TOC by doing a Select All then F9, you would need to do that twice in order to ensure that the TC entries are updated before the TOC.

If you are not using { PAGE } to generate these numbers, I guess you would only be able to get this to work if you can generate the correct numbers using field codes, in which case you'd have to work out what to put instead of { PAGE }

Peter Jamieson
    • Marked as answer by SouthendRonnie Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:32 AM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:03 AM
  • Excellent Peter, thanks for taking the time to reply, this works perfectly.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:33 AM