Azure Stack integrated system - Managing marketplace item versions RRS feed

• Question

• I need some help/comments about managing marketplace item versions in Azure Stack integrated system.

Example: Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS have 3 different versions available from Azure to download to Azure Stack and we have downloaded them all to our Azure Stack marketplace manager. 

Now when we are deploying Ubuntu Server 16.04 from Azure Stack tenant portal, there is only one Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS image shown in marketplace. When starting to deploy that Ubuntu image, there is no mention which version/image it's using for deployment (even in the "background" there is 3 version available).

Questions are:

1. Is there any way that tenant can see or choose version number from item they are using Azure Stack tenant portal marketplace?

2. Does Azure Stack automatically use latest version of marketplace item for deployment, if there's multiple version downloaded to marketplace management?

3. Is there any reason to have 2-3 different version from "same" marketplace item in Azure Stack marketplace management for "redundant" reason if one item image breaks for some reason and don't work anymore?

Regards

Arto

Thursday, June 28, 2018 4:57 AM

Answers

• Hello Arto,

To answer your questions:

1.Is there any way that tenant can see or choose version number from item they are using Azure Stack tenant portal marketplace?

In the Marketplace, each item has a “Marketplace item manifest.json that includes the Version number.

2. Does Azure Stack automatically use latest version of marketplace item for deployment, if there's multiple version downloaded to marketplace management?

No, if a newer item is available, you’ll need to delete it from the local Azure Stack Marketplace and download the latest version from Azure

3. Is there any reason to have 2-3 different version from "same" marketplace item in Azure Stack marketplace management for "redundant" reason if one item image breaks for some reason and don't work anymore?

Sure, I like to keep the new version and version ‘in use’ until I validated it’s fully functional.

Note: Images downloaded before January 18, 2018 must be deleted and replaced with the latest versions.  The Marketplace UI may show an error after you remove an item. To fix the error, click Settings in the portal. Then, select Discard modifications under Portal customization.

Let us know how it goes.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you continue experience any issues with ASDK release, feel free to contact us.

Thanks, 

Gary Gallanes

Friday, June 29, 2018 6:29 PM
  • Hello Arto,

I'm researching to see if there are currently additional Marketplace Management tools/functionality road mapped that'll help with managing versions and options to have clients automatically download the latest available version.

I'll let you know what I find

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you continue experience any issues with ASDK release, feel free to contact us.

Thanks, 

Gary Gallanes

• Marked as answer by ArtoVai Wednesday, July 11, 2018 10:43 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:28 PM

All replies

• Hello Arto,

To answer your questions:

1.Is there any way that tenant can see or choose version number from item they are using Azure Stack tenant portal marketplace?

In the Marketplace, each item has a “Marketplace item manifest.json that includes the Version number.

No, if a newer item is available, you’ll need to delete it from the local Azure Stack Marketplace and download the latest version from Azure

Sure, I like to keep the new version and version ‘in use’ until I validated it’s fully functional.

Note: Images downloaded before January 18, 2018 must be deleted and replaced with the latest versions.  The Marketplace UI may show an error after you remove an item. To fix the error, click Settings in the portal. Then, select Discard modifications under Portal customization.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks, 

Gary Gallanes

Friday, June 29, 2018 6:29 PM
  • Hi Gary

Thanks for reply and sorry for late comment from my side.

In question 2. I meant that if we have different versions of marketplace item in local Azure Stack marketplace, then while customer is deploying example VM (e.g. Ubuntu 16.04 server) from tenant portal it uses automatically latest version from different versions (e.g 16.04.201801120 and 16.04.201806120) which we have downloaded to local Azure Stack marketplace manager.

But I got the answer to "main issue" so we will also stick to that 2 latest versions in local Azure Stack marketplace manager strategy and delete all older versions.

Hopefully someday marketplace item version update will be bit more automated process than checking all item versions manually one-by-one from marketplace management and then comparing that to latest available version in Azure. Least I don't know any smoother way to do it.

Regards

Arto

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:36 PM
  • Hello Arto,

I'm researching to see if there are currently additional Marketplace Management tools/functionality road mapped that'll help with managing versions and options to have clients automatically download the latest available version.

I'll let you know what I find

Thanks, 

Gary Gallanes

• Marked as answer by ArtoVai Wednesday, July 11, 2018 10:43 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:28 PM
  • Thanks Gary!

Regards

Arto

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 10:43 AM