none
Outlook keeps disabling my add-in RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a plug-in for Outlook 2019 ( to help me analyze the spam I get. However, my instance of Outlook 2019 keeps disabling the add-in as I work on debugging it.

1. I open Outlook
    2. Click on the File ribbon
    3. Click on Options
    4. Select Add-ins from the left hand menu
    5. My add-in is listed under "Disabled Application Add-ins"
    6. Select Manage "COM Add-ins" and click "Go..."
    7. Find my add-in, check the box next to my add-in
    8. Click OK
    9. Close out Outlook
    10. Start debugging my add-in via Visual Studio

Expected:

For my break point to be hit in VS 2017.

Actual:

My add-in is disabled again.

My question is: What are some strategies for debugging this problem?

Friday, December 21, 2018 8:51 PM

Answers

• I found a way to fix it.

There are two keys in the registry that seem to govern this behavior:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Resiliency\CrashingAddinList and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Resiliency\DisabledItems

I found my add-in listed into both places. Deleting the values for my add-in here enabled it to be loaded again.

Sunday, December 23, 2018 6:53 PM

All replies

• Outlook will disable an add-in if it failed to meet performance criteria or errors in add-in code.  The Application event log should contain an event that indicates the reason why an add-in has been disabled.  For registry keys that can be set to help prevent an add-in from being disabled see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/outlook/concepts/getting-started/support-for-keeping-add-ins-enabled

Saturday, December 22, 2018 10:35 AM
  • Hello <g class="gr_ gr_147 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="147" id="147">Ms.</g> Clark,

Although I'm from a technical background <g class="gr_ gr_223 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="223" id="223">but</g> I can't give detailed information about this question on the basis of the detail that you have shared.

If you wish, you can try another way. Try to use another plugin. 

There are many service providers. You can get any one of them.

Hope that can solve the issue. 

Saturday, December 22, 2018 12:39 PM
  • This is helpful information, though it's not quite what I'm looking for.
    Sunday, December 23, 2018 6:49 PM
  • I found a way to fix it.

There are two keys in the registry that seem to govern this behavior:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Resiliency\CrashingAddinList and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Resiliency\DisabledItems

I found my add-in listed into both places. Deleting the values for my add-in here enabled it to be loaded again.

Sunday, December 23, 2018 6:53 PM
  • This is helpful information, though it's not quite what I'm looking for.

Well, it seemed you couldn't debug your add-in because it was always disabled.  If a way to determine why your add-in was disabled and a method to keep your add-in from being disabled are not what you are looking for, then what?

Sunday, December 23, 2018 6:54 PM