ASP.NET web app deployment with windows auth and impersonation and database access : Need suggest... RRS feed

• Question

• User1696151212 posted

172 Points

3 Posts

ASP.NET web app deployment with windows auth and impersonation and database access : Need suggest...

4 minutes ago|LINK

Hello All,

I am facing a issue. Please suggest workaround (solution) that requires less changes.

I have a ASP.NET MVC website that is deployed on Windows Server 2008 R2. At IIS, Integrated Windows authentication and ASP.NET Impersonation is enabled. The application pool's Identity is set to a custom windows account.

And configuration setting is as
    <identity impersonate="true"/>
    <authentication mode="Windows" />

It was working as expected. Now I was making few enhancements that requires to access a common database (SQL 2008 R2) and using Integrated Security=SSPI . Application pool's Identity has access to the database.

But here when we run the application, it tries to access the database with the account NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON and fails. It works if asp.net impersonation is disabled because then it access the database with the account App Pool Identity. We cannot give the every user to have permission to access the database.

I cannot disable the Impersonation and want to access the database with App Pool Identity user or some other common user at max. We cannot use SQL authentication also.

Any workaround that requires less changes.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:41 PM

Answers