none
Can't remove test agent from lab environment RRS feed

• Question

• We are using TFS 2012 and have created a Lab Environment using Lab Center and VMM.  I have deployments and tests running in that environment, but occasionally I want to debug tests which fail in the Lab Environment. Specifically I would like to retest on the specific remote machine where the test failed.  To do this I would like to simply remove one of my test VMs from the Lab Environment and then control it from another Test Controller and once I am happy with my debugging efforts, put that VM back into the Lab Environment.  

So to do this I am trying to follow the directions here msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Dd695837(v=vs.110).aspx#RemoveAgent) However the "Remove Agent" option is *never* enabled.   Following the directions from that URL, when I go to Lab Center, then to the Controllers tab and I try to "offline" the specific agent, that "seems" to work, HOWEVER the "Remove Agent" option is never enabled.  The "Remove Agent" option is always disabled.  If I remote to the VM, and launch its Test Agent Configuration Tool, it does report that it thinks its part of a lab.

Furthermore, if I delete the entire Lab Environment from the Lab Center, the various test machines which are part of the lab environment still believe they are part of that environment, even though the entire environment is gone.  I first delete the entire Lab Environment using Lab Center, then I remote to a VM which was part of that Lab Environment and launch the Test Agent Configuration Tool and it still reports that it thinks its part of a lab.

Is this a known issue?
    Should I be able to remove a machine from Lab Environment?  Should I expect any difference if that machine is a VM or a physical machine?  (note: I have only tested this with VMs as I don't have any physical machines to test with)
    Is there any way to force the Test Agent to separate from a Lab Environment?

Thanks,
    Greg @ eSolar.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Greg_at_eSolar,

Base on my test (MTM 2013), I don’t find a way to enable the Remove Agent option. (Both for standard and SCVMM lab environment)

For this issue, you could submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com , Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously. Thanks for your understanding. After you submit the feedback, you can post the link here which will be beneficial for other members with the similar issue.

However, if I delete the lab environment (Both for Standard and SCVMM lab environment), the test agent will be removed from the test controller automatically and I can re-configure the test agent.

I suggest that you could restart the test agent machine and check the result.

Thanks

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:51 AM
  • I have logged this issue with Connect.   I have also tried the suggested work around of deleting the entire Lab Environment and then restarting the Test Agent machine - but it still thinks it is connected to the Lab Environment.  I even tried uninstalling the Test Agent and then reinstalling the Test Agent but STILL the Test Agent machine thinks it is part of a Lab Environment.

I have searched through the registry on the Test Agent machine and it seems the test agent is pulling information about its controller and lab environment from the registry - BUT removing those entries did not solve the issue.  Likely there is some combination of registry removals and service restarts on the Test Agent machine plus similar tweaks for the Test Controller which might do the trick, but I have tried a bunch and not yet found the magic.  

I would love to have a reliable workaround for this issue.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:23 PM
  • Hi,

After you delete the lab environment, could remove the test agent in the MTM. (Lab Center=>Controllers, then Offline that test agent and try to remove)

Are there these machines (the old test agent machine) in the Machines tab when you create a new lab environment?

Thanks

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:44 AM
  • I tried both removing the Test Agent from the environment first, but that failed.  I also tried deleting the environment and then trying to offline and remove the Test Agent from the controller, but that also failed the same way - 'remove agent' is never enabled.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 5:01 AM
  • Hi,

If you create a new lab environment, are the old test agent machines (in the deleted lab environment) in the available virtual machines list (Machines tab).

On the other hand, please update your TFS to the latest version.

Thanks

Best Regards

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:24 AM
  • Yes I can repurpose the old test agents into a new lab environment, but that is not what I am trying to do.

No I can not upgrade to TFS 2013.  That is not a workable solution.  TFS Upgrades are not trivial actions and it is not a possibility at the moment. 

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:38 AM
  • Hi,

I can’t reproduce that scene.

I suggest that you could submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com , Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously. Thanks for your understanding. After you submit the feedback, you can post the link here which will be beneficial for other members with the similar issue.

Thanks

Best Regards

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:45 AM