Is using CAB a performance hit? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm weighing design options for creating a smart client video application based on .NET, Microsoft CAB and Infragistics Netadvantage. One of the alternatives would be to write all the middle tier logic from scratch and try to emulate the doc/view architecture that MFC offered. One of the things the app needs to support is multiple views of  single document and multiple views of multiple documents.

I was told that using Microsoft CAB is overkill for the application and would cause a huge performance hit.  Does anyone have any real world experience with performance issues using CAB?

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:55 AM

All replies

• I believe there is a performance hit because the deterinistic unloading of the modules  is missing. I think CAB module loader service doesn't provides an option for unloading of a module. Is anyone has tried complete unloading of a module by resolving the dependencies.Please let me know..

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:24 AM
  • There's nothing that can hit your performance, except for .Net Reflection, which is used by Object Builder. Anyway, i dont think you even could sence this reflection usage issue, especially when you have all that CABs assemblies added to solution as release builds.
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:27 AM