none
Where is the CLI specifications RRS feed

• Question

• I know that ECMA and the ISO are the official standards committees for the Standard ECMA-335 (the CLI) but I can't find a Word format version of it. Let me explain why I am asking, this is a matter of consistency; there are just so many inconsistencies in things that Microsoft does and I want to resolve an inconsistency if possible.

I know that there is not a corresponding standard for VB so I found Download Visual Basic Language Specification 11.0 from Official Microsoft Download Center. Okay, well since there is not an industry standard for VB.Net it makes sense that the specification are written by Microsoft. I also found Download C# Language Specification 5.0 from Official Microsoft Download Center and that is not the same as the ECMA version; the chapters are different. Most of them are probably the same but not all of them. So one frustration is that referencing a chapter using a chapter number does not work for both versions.

So for consistency it would be good if I can find a corresponding specification of the CLI in Word format, corresponding with the VB.Net and C# specifications. It is likely that there is no answer to this question except that Microsoft is consistently inconsistent.

Is there a CLI specification in Word format such as exists for VB.Net and C#?

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, May 5, 2018 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Simple Samples,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, please refer to the link below.

https://www.visualstudio.com/license-terms/ecma-c-common-language-infrastructure-standards/

It shows Latest Standards of ECMA C# and Common Language Infrastructure Standards and the special versions of the Standards with Microsoft implementation-specific notes added.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 7, 2018 7:20 AM
  • For your question, please refer to the link below.

https://www.visualstudio.com/license-terms/ecma-c-common-language-infrastructure-standards/

I saw that page before posting. It says nothing about VB.Net nor the Word format of the CLI specification I indicated.

If I were to write something comparing the VB.Net language, the C# language and the underlying Common Language Infrastructure then I could refer to the ECMA PDF for C# and for the CLI but not for VB.Net. I could refer to the Word format version for C# and VB.Net but not a Word format version for the CLI.

The chapter numbers for the two formats of C# (of the current version, version 5) are different; I wish that at least the chapter numbers could somehow be consistent. The following compares the chapters of the Word and PDF formats.

Word PDF
    Beginning Chapter 1 Chapters 1 thru 6
    Common 2. Lexical structure thru 18. Unsafe code 7. Lexical structure thru 23. Unsafe code
    Ending A. Documentation comments
    B. Grammar
    C. References
    Annex A. Grammar
    Annex B. Portability issues
    Annex C. Standard library
    Annex D. Documentation comments
    Annex E. Bibliography

I assume that the part I call the common part is the same for both but otherwise there are major inconsistencies between the two formats. They both claim to be the specifications for the language. By definition of what a specification is there should not be more than one version of the specification.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, May 7, 2018 6:28 PM