none
Load balancing RRS feed

• Question

• HI

I have a simple question for below scenario

Lets say I have two servers with 2 cores each and I have to process a total of 4 tasks/request which takes long time to complete. 2 requests take 5 mins and other 2 request take 10 mins to complete. Whiich is the best load balancing scenario assuming all requests are submitted simultaneously:

1 2 (10 mins) request on one server and other 2 (5 mins) request on another server?

2 one (10 min) and one (5 min) request on one server and another one (10 min) and one (5 min) request on another server?

In my opinion having 2 combination is better solution because if other tasks are submitted, option 2 combination will have lesser context switches . Please advice.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:00 AM

Answers

• The time a process takes to finish is based on the bandwidth which has a lot of dependencies.  For example the two server may not be identical.  One may run twice as fast as the second.  You also didn't consider the amount of data that need to be transfer between client and server.  The only way for sure to determine the best method is to create a bench test and try different combinations.

jdweng

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:44 PM